Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault misrepresents Part List on historic version of Drawing!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Maxim-CADman77
455 Views, 4 Replies

Vault misrepresents Part List on historic version of Drawing!

Recently we've faced another weird behaviour of Vault.

Seems like it fails to correctly represent Part Lists on some versions of Inventor drawings (IDW).

Firstly the DWF was blamed for this mess up but it seems have no any relation. Now issue looks like the follows: 

There is an IDW with 26 versions. The DWF initially was created for it but now it is deleted to make things more clear.

We are highly interested in 24th version of the IDW.

If user executes "View in window" command from context menu of 24th version in Vault Explorer the result is Inventor View window with INCORRECT Part List (looks more like preview for latest 26th version):

If user gets the 24th version of the IDW locally and opens it with Inventor View - the Part List is correct (the same as saved in Inventor, and same that is shown if open with Inventor with defer update option):

Should I say that this issue could have VERY negative consequence to Vault customer! 

Unfortunately I can't provide the file itself but if necessary I could record the video to prove the facts.

We need some urgent help, please!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Seems like for non-DWFed file versions "View in window" command does not care the file version number "who's" context menu was used to execute it (command) and Inventor View always shows the latest version, right?

(for me such behaviour makes no sence but this seems as designed and nothing about this is noted where it should be, guess here http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-E1B8190D-ED0B-4A9C-BEC5-D8167360EF6C)

If this is "as designed" then we still have the problew if file version does have DWF.

In this case Vault behaviour definetely differs - If DWF exist for particular file version then it (DWF of historical version) openes in ADR if "View in window" is executed from context of the version.

Yet for the particular 24 version DWF has wrong Part List in comparison to viewing IDW in Inventor View (as well as in Inventor).

The main problem for me now is difference in behaviour and no clear description of how it is supposed to work (which seems to differ from my vision of common sence).

Message 3 of 5

Ok. I think I'm ready to share steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Install Inventor samples provided by Autodesk (http://download.autodesk.com/us/support/files/inventor_sample_files/Autodesk_Inventor_2014_Samples.e...).

2. Open in Inventor file Scissors.IDW and CheckIN it to Vault (turn OFF visualization option during CheckIN) ... now we get 1st versions in Vault.

3. Create copy of one of scissor's components and edit value of one of iProperties that is present in Part List (for example Blade_top_2.IPT with <Part Number>="Blade_top_2").

4. CheckOUT Scissors.IDW and Scissors.IAM

5. Open Scissors.IAM and replace original component with it's copy created on step3

6. CheckIN Scissors.IDW ... now we get 2nd versions (IAM and IDW) in Vault.

7. Open Vault Explorer, choose Scissors.IDW in main grid, activate History tab in preview pane, choose 1st version, generate CreateDWF job for it (Actions -> Upadte View -> Queue update)

8. Make sure Job Processor completed the job

9. Use"View in window" command from context menu of 1st version of Scissors.IDW

Witness presence "Blade_top_2" in Part List:

DWFed_PartList_of_HistoricalVersion.png

Does this make any sense?

Hope now Autodesk have everything to confirm existance of the issue and finally start to solve it.

Message 4 of 5

After five month of investigation Autodesk published tiny-little note - http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

but I'm not sure if this will satisfy our customers...

Message 5 of 5

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report