Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault file viewing issues

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
steggles
644 Views, 4 Replies

Vault file viewing issues

Hello all,

First let me say that I know pretty much next to nothing on Vault, we have a third party that we use to support our staff. Unfortunately they have not been able to solve this issue, and I am assuming its something basic.  So hopefully I make sense as I explain the issue to you.

We have some staff that all they need to do is view drawings via the Vault web viewer. The other day we got a call from them saying that some files are prompting them to download the full .iam files, rather than just displaying the .dwf file within design review IE plugin (which is what they are used to).

After doing some investigating on my end I found that if i log into the Vault client I can reproduce the issue, certain people, when click "view in window" will get inventor view and the full .iam file, and others will get the .dwf file.

I have two files in the example video I link to below:

1. P-0001.iam
    When viewing this file as an administrative user, it displays a dwf file in Design Review
    When viewing this file as a standard user, it displays an .iam file (prompts to download an iam file via the web viewer)
  2. P-0002.iam
    When viewing this file as a standard user or as an administrator, it displays as dwf file.

The behaviour we are expecting is the behaviour shown with the P-0002.iam file. ie: Displays the dwf file.

I have uploaded a video to youtube that covers this issue here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_egiRn8zjg

As I said at the beginning, I don't know much about Vault, but I am assuming this is something simple. A toggle on the file or something similar. Why are these files, which to my untrained eye look very similar, behaving differently?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
minkd
in reply to: steggles

If there is no DWF for a particular file, then it will download the file instead.  For the ones you are havin trouble with, select them in Vault Explorer and using the "Update View" command in the actions menu.  If you have a job processor running which can perform DWF jobs, you can choose to queue the update. Otherwise, choose the "Update Locally" option.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 5
steggles
in reply to: minkd

That sounds reasonable. However:

Why can an administrative user see the DWF but a non-administrative user get an iam file?

Also:

Once I have updated locally, what do I need to do to push the, what I am assuming is a locally created DWF file, to the Vault server so everyone can see it?

Message 4 of 5
steggles
in reply to: steggles

Ok, I have been trying to teach myself Vault in the last day. I can go Tools->Options and in there I can check Show hidden files. Now I can see the .dwfx visualisation files (Hooray).

I can see that some of them do not have a state (the ones without a state work the way we want them to). The others have a state of Work in Progress. These are the files we are having issues viewing as standard users. Why are some set to Work in Progress and the others have no state?

Message 5 of 5
steggles
in reply to: minkd

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report