Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault back up validation test

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jacoj
595 Views, 5 Replies

Vault back up validation test

good day.

I want to test my filestore back up, without affecting my companies current set up, or database,

I want to see if we were to loose the data, is the back up actually running, and rerstoring correctly,

how can I replicate this.

kind regards

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
olearya
in reply to: jacoj

Hi there,

This is a very good idea and we encourage users to test this regularly, in a perfect world it would be great for each company to have a dedicated server for testing backups and migrations etc.  Of course we realize this is not always possible but to accomplish what you want safely you would need to utilize a second server set up similarly to your production server.  (If you restore on your production server and it fails - this is bad! :))

While you should not need the same machine specifications as your production server it will of course need to meet the Vault system requirements and you should have the same version of SQL as used on the production server.

Hope this helps.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 6
jacoj

Thank you,

As i thought,

thank you for emphasizing the SQL, I did not think of that

Message 4 of 6
xavier_dumont2

Hello,

What kind of backup did you perform? Only a filestore backup?

Normally, the best an secure way to perform a backup from the Vault is to use the ADMS Console in command line mode:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/Help/Help/0097-Administ97/0098-Autodesk98/0141-Command_141

This kind of backup will backup Database + filestore.

Have a nice day.

Message 5 of 6
jacoj
in reply to: xavier_dumont2

Hi

we back up the database and filestore,

the one overides the other one daily,

so what I want to do is replicate this, ( server and client)

delete the test vualt, and reinstate the actual back up from the tapes to the test machine,

to see if our back up system will be able to be recovered on a fruquent basis....

Message 6 of 6
jacoj

can you guys assist me how to rreplocate this without affecting my database.

I want to test the back up, on a spare server,

do I need to replicate my server, and run the back up there than?

how do I restore the back up then to compare and see if the back up is really successful as the log files stated?

is there white papers or documentation on this procedures.

kind regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report