Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Workgroup revision control

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
drguitarum2005
512 Views, 1 Reply

Vault Workgroup revision control

I have a question concerning Vault Workgroup as far as revision control goes. We just implemented Vault Basic as well as Inventor 2013 and have real issues when it comes to revision control (or the complete lack thereof). If we upgrade to Vault Workgroup, how does it do revision control? Specifically, how does it tie those into Inventor? Now I know, from a demonstration, that I can select the "Vault Revision" in an Inventor drawing and it ties into that, but let me present a scenario here:

Today I make an assembly with say 10 parts in it. Part 1, rev A is used in this assembly.

Next week I make a change to Part 1 and increment it to rev B.

When I open the original assembly from last week, which rev of part 1 will it show? The one I built it with or does it automatically show the latest rev?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

I've just upgraded to Workgroup a few weeks ago and am still getting my head around it. So I'll have a go at answering it but if someone finds my comments wrong then please correct me.

Workgroup uses a combination of lifecycle stated, revision state and version number. If your assembly was released (which locks it down from editing) this is then also passed to the children. This lifecycle change (lock down) can also apply to the revision and the version of the children. So in Assy 1, Part1 @ Rev A @ Version X gets locked down at the release of the assembly.

Now if you create another Assy2 and place Part1 @ Rev A @ Version X and then change it's lifecycle to Work In Progress, make some changes, release it again it will change the Revision to B and get locked down at Version Y. However Part1 @ Rev A @ Version X still exists in Assy1.

If you don't release (lock down) the parent files (assy) and children through lifecycle states then changes to them will propagate to the parents, the same way they did in Vault Basic. In Basic you handled revisions by having different files representing Rev A and Rev B and so on. In Workgroup the same file has Revisions and this rev coupled with the Version at the time of "release" is used.

Hope that is clear enough. The wiki probably has a better explanation.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report