Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Workgroup 2013 installed SP1, no no-one can login!

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
mgagliardi-delta-elevator
408 Views, 5 Replies

Vault Workgroup 2013 installed SP1, no no-one can login!

We just installed vault workgroup 2013 SP1 on our server last night. When I tried to login with the client this morning I got the message " The vault must be Migrated. Logging into the server console on the server will automatically complete the migration."

So, I assumed I could simply login to the ADMS console on the server...but it won't accept my user/pass. In fact, NO ONE can login to the ADMS console. So we are completely non-functional without a working vault. WTF...HELP!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

To log in to the ADMS-Console, the user must be a member of the Administrator role.

By default, there is an "Administrator" user with no password, although it is likely that the password was set to something after the original installation. The "Administrator" user also could have been renamed or disabled by an Administrator; but at least one enabled user must have the "Administrator" role.

I believe Product Support has a utility to reset the Administrator password back to nothing if no-one remembers the Administrator password.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 6

The problem isn't that no one can remember the password...the accounts appear to simply be gone. Even the "sa" built in account is gone.

Speaking with our server IT guy he believes that it might have something to do with the authentication options during initial setup. Vault server was installed to use windows AD authentication, but now that it is asking for the "sa" master account he thinks that might have gotten changed by the SP1 install somehow...hence why the accounts appear to be gone.

Message 4 of 6

So the solution, I think.

Our server admin restored the sa account to the SQL database server directly and used the new password to login to ADMS console. Once successfully logged in, ADMS migrated the databse (as the client error message said it would). Then all the user accounts appeard to be functional again.

So while the issue is solved, the question stands as to WHY the SP1 killed the sa account to the point it had to be recovered directly with SQL server?

Message 5 of 6

Good hear that you are up and running again.

FYI - there are three different levels of authentication required to use ADMS-Console:

The first is the vault user (ex: "Administrator"), which can be an Active Directory user.  To use ADMS-Console you have to login with a vault user that has the vault "Administrator" role.

The second is the permissions associated with the account that you are logged into Windows with. To use ADMS-Console you must have elevated system privileges from the operating system.

The third is SQL database authentication (the sa user).  The ADMS-Console prompts for these credentials for certain operations, which includes migration. Other operations include backup/restore and attach/detach. You will only see these prompts if the sa password is not the default.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 6

sa password was never changed, or set to anything other than the default. The SP1 install must have changed something, or expected a new default vaule.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report