Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Workgroup 2011 ADMS referencing invalid servername under Work groups

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
MarkMazour
1014 Views, 5 Replies

Vault Workgroup 2011 ADMS referencing invalid servername under Work groups

After upgrading our Vault server to 2011 lastnight we are running into some issues.

The upgrade itself went very smooth, after upgrading I opened the ADMS poked around a little bit, I then started the Vault 2011 client and checked in and out a few files. This is a default SQL Server Express 2005 sp3.

So the next logical step to me was to get a backup of the newly upgraded Vault. Prior to our upgrade the backups were running around 40-45 minutes. An hour and a half after starting the bcakup I got an error message regarding "Some subscriber worgroups are offline... Details: Failed to check pending changes from workgroup 'Srvr-EngNew\autodeskvault' "  (see the attached). That server name references an interim server name that was used during a move to a new server two versions ago.

Investigating further I opened up ADMS and under the workgroups lable with the earth icon I have found this interim server name referenced again (see attached).

Does anybody know how I can edit or alter this reference in Vault ADMS or safely in SQL Server Management Studio.

On a second note while upgrading I did not have acces to our Serial Number or Product Key so I selected enter this information later. I am now wondering how does one do that?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
paul.gunn
in reply to: MarkMazour

Hi,

The problem is when the SQL server was originally renamed, it was not updated to the new name [this requires a couple of sql server procedure calls]. So SQL server still thinks it is the old name and identifies itself as such. Previous versions of vaults ignored this information but vault 2011 does use it so is getting confused by the conflicting information.

This can be resolved from SQL management studio with the following [using what I understand are your old and new server names]:

sp_dropserver 'SRVR-ENGNEW\AUTODESKVAULT'

go

sp_addserver 'SRVR-ENG\AUTODESKVAULT','local'

go

update

KnowledgeVaultMaster.dbo.Workgroup set SQLServer =  'SRVR-ENG\AUTODESKVAULT'

where SQLServer = 'SRVR-ENGNEW\AUTODESKVAULT'

go

Hope this helps,

Paul

Message 3 of 6
MarkMazour

Well I have found the table in KnowledgeVaultMaster database that holds the reference to the trouble some servername reference. I am tempted to run an update query but not sure if that will have a negative impact elsewhere. Would anyone from Autodesk like to advise on whether or not I should execute the following query?

UPDATE

KnowledgeVaultMaster.dbo.Workgroup SET SQLServer = 'SRVR-ENG' WHERE SQLServer = 'SRVR-ENGNEW' AND WorkgroupId = 1

The table is referenced by four foreign keys:

KnowledgeVaultMaster.dbo.Event: FK_Event_Workgroup
KnowledgeVaultMaster.dbo.ReplicatedLibrary: FK_ReplicateLibrary_Workgroup
KnowledgeVaultMaster.dbo.ReplicatedVault: FK_ReplicatedVault_Workgroup
KnowledgeVaultMaster.dbo.Sites: FK_Sites_Workgroup

Message 4 of 6
MarkMazour
in reply to: paul.gunn

Well that did not help. It killed my Vault I get the following error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Message 5 of 6
paul.gunn

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear the script didn't work. I'm assuming you ran the full script including the sp_dropserver and sp_addserver?

If you want to contact me directly at paulDOTgunnATautodeskDOTcom we'll get you sorted out.

Paul

Message 6 of 6
MarkMazour
in reply to: paul.gunn

To any following this post I'd just to let you know the outcome the above noted script provided by Paul did work but it did require a SQL Server restart.

Thanks Paul your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report