Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Upgrade 2010->2013 and new Server recommended Steps?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
dodgeit
796 Views, 10 Replies

Vault Upgrade 2010->2013 and new Server recommended Steps?

Hello we are about to upgrade a 2010 Vault, (3GB DB and 49GB File store), running on a full SQL2005 system.

I have some questions about best practices and steps.

Current plan is as follows:

Setup a Virtual Server for the first migration, 2010->2011 as follows. 

2008R2 server

Install ADMS and use the SQL2008 express for a vanilla installation.

Backup the Current Vault and Restore it to the 2011 installation

Test functionality with a client.

Backup vault for second migration to 2013.

Questions:

1.  Can I use the SLQ 2008 Express included with the ADMS software for this step or will I need a full SQL installation?

2.  Can I test from a PC running Inventor 2010 and just upgrade the Vault Client or will I need to upgrade both?

Second phase:

Windows 2008R2 fully patched with SQL2008R2 sp1.

Install SQL 2008r2 and install patches, (will follow the Advanced Configuration guide).

Install ADMS 2013 and install updates and hotfixes.

Restore 2011 backup

Test functionality with client.

Update remaining clients.

setup new maintenance and backup schedule.

Any additional recommendations?

Anything to help speed up the backups?

Thank you for any help you can provide,

Dave

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
hans.martin.haga
in reply to: dodgeit

As long as the databases are below 4 GB for SQL Express, or 10 GB for SQL Express R2 - you can restore a backup from a full version of SQL.

However, the SQL Express 2008 bundled with Vault is 32 bit. Microsoft does not allow upgrading from SQL Express 32 bit to SQL 2008 64 bit full version.

Message 3 of 11
ihayesjr
in reply to: hans.martin.haga

Microsoft doesn't support downgrading a database to a lower level of SQL.  You must stay on the same level or move to a higher edition.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 4 of 11
dodgeit

Thank you for the warning regarding the 32 -> 64-bit versions, I'll be dealing with that anyway as the current DB is 32-bit.  I'll verify the current DB size but it was approx. 3GB the last time that I checked it so I think we should be O.K. with the 2008sp1 version, I don't think I can use the 2008R2 express with Vault 2011, at least it isn't listed as a supported SQL version. 

Otherwise you don't see any issues?

Thank you for your assistance,

Dave

Message 5 of 11
ihayesjr

Dave, you still have to stay on the same level of SQL.  So if you are using SQL 2005 Standard you have to go to SQL 2008 Standard as a minimum.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 6 of 11
dodgeit
in reply to: ihayesjr

I don't intend to run the system on SQL Express, just as a migration step, and although MS doesn't list it as a supported track, I found documention indicating that as long as the DB size limit isn't an issue and that you aren't using features that are not available in the Express edition you can downgrade.  Since the Vault supports the express edition I presume that it doesn't make use of any features that are unique to the full product.  I can do a full installation of SQL if necessary, but again the plan is to move immediately to 2013 which will be on a new server and will have the full version of SQL.

Thank you for your feedback and assistance,

Dave

Message 7 of 11
dodgeit
in reply to: ihayesjr

Perhaps I've made a foolish assumption here, on my first read through the advanced admin guide.  I was presuming that I could start with 2011 on the new server with a backup of the 2010 vault.  I thought that I could restore the backup and that it would migrate the data.  Is that an option or will I need to start with 2010 on the new server and then begin the upgrade track?

Thank you,

Dave 

Message 8 of 11
minkd

You can restore a 2009, 2010 or 2011 vault backup on a 2011 vault server.

I believe there is a limitation from Microsoft regarding SQL though where the system you are restoring to must have the same or higher SQL version (within the supported SQL versions for the vault release to which you are restoring). I believe the SQL edition must be the same or higher as well.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 11
dodgeit
in reply to: minkd

Thank you for the clarification...

I am opting to avoid as much hair pulling as possible, so I'll install a full SQL 2008 Std. 32-bit instance on the migration server. Once I've migrated to 2011, I'll patch it to SP3, then upgrade the 2011 instance to 2013.  I'll back that copy up and move it to the final server which will run SQL 2008r2 SP2 Std. 32-bit.

Thank you again.

Message 10 of 11
dodgeit

Follow up on the migration, the process documented went fine, (slow, but error free).  I first backed up the 2010 vault and copied it to the interim server, (running 2008R2, SQL Std. 2008sp1 64-bit, & Vault 2012), where I restored the database.  Once the restore was complete, I performed another backup and copied the file to the final server, (running 2008R2, SQL 2008r2 SP1, and Vault 2013), where I restored the data.  The updated clients connect to the new system fine.  The big problem now is the file store files are 2010 and are taking a very long time to open, (an assembly with 400+ parts taking over twenty minutes to load), ( the client PC is an Z800, 2.8Ghz (2P), with 16GB and 15K SAS drives)..  Once the drawing has been opened and checked back into the vault it will open in less than thirty seconds...Using the task scheduler to migrate the files but this seems to have it's own issues, rate seems to be about 100 files an hour for ipt files, had the unknown exception error and had to use the vault to check the files in...

If anyone has suggestions on any methods for speeding up the file migration please feel free to post them...

Message 11 of 11
dodgeit

Additional information:

A big part of the delay was the import of the 2012 backup replaced the libraries with the old libraries.  I installed the 2013 libraries and removed the old 2010 libraries, this has reduced the delays to less than a minute in most cases.  We'll continue to migrate the file store, and see how that affects the total time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report