Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Pro 2012-Folder Permissions not respected

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
varindersra
760 Views, 8 Replies

Vault Pro 2012-Folder Permissions not respected

Hi,

I have folder level permission of read, write and delete. I have full permissions for transition from one state to another through lifecycle defination assigned to all the files in the folder. And I am using administrator account. But, it is not letting me change the state of files. It gives me error 303.  Now if I remove the ACL from folder completely it now allows me to change the state. I think it is not respecting the folder level permissions. Please fix this issue.

Thank you!

Varinder

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
luttena
in reply to: varindersra

Hello Varinder,

Thank you for posting this issue. It seems like there is an issue with your configuration. Remember that a security override from a folder and a security override from a lifecycle state will replace each other. So if you recently changed the folder security after the last lifecycle state you could be preventing an edit from your user account.

Perhaps you could provide a snapshot of your file's security to better explain the scenario.

Regards,

Adam

Adam Luttenbacher
Sr User Experience Designer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 9
varindersra
in reply to: luttena

As I told you in previous post. I have full permission both at folder level and in lifecycle states level. So, if I changed folder permissions that should not exclude me from editing files. I am sending you the screen shots. In the screesn shot you can see group "ASI\ASI VLT Admin" has full permissions both at lifecycle and folder level. It is not a normal behavior.

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

Message 4 of 9
mikel_martin
in reply to: varindersra

The ability to change the state of the file is not related to the security on the folder.

The security setting in the lifecycle transition between the two states determines if you can change to that state.

I assume that your lifeycycle definition is not configured to allow this user to change from WIP to Released.

Also, you might also see this issue if that user does not have the proper role in the Vault. The administrator is not given Document Manager (1 or 2) by default. You must have one of these roles in order to change state.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 9
Redmond.D
in reply to: mikel_martin

The user that you are logged in as, is it a member of multiple groups?

If so, do any of those groups have a deny setting?  That would explain what you are seeing.

A deny setting will overwrite an allow setting.  So being in one group with an allow does you no good if you are in another group with a deny.

There is a utility for Vault called Effective Folder Permissions, which you might want to download.  It gives you a user-based view of the security settings.

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 9
varindersra

Hi Mike,

If you read my first post it says that I have full permission for transition between two states. So, I don't think thats an issue.

Secondaly Administrator can change the lifecycle states and lifecycle defination. Its doen't require DE 1 or 2 roles.

Message 7 of 9
varindersra
in reply to: Redmond.D

Hi Doug,

Thanks for reply. The user I am using is just under one group. I created a new database and applied same permissions to the folder an lifecycle states and I don have any problem. The only difference between these databses is that the test database is the one I created in Vault pro 2012 but the other database is transfered over from the Vault Pro 2011. I think there is some kind of bug in migration of files or permissions.

Regards !

Varinder

Message 8 of 9
Fori123

Mikel,

We have vault installed at our company and we have object based security. For some reason the permissions on the object based security keep changing to match the top level folder permissions. Is there a reason why this is happening? Could it be when search indexes are rebuily?

Message 9 of 9
B.Rawling
in reply to: Fori123

Flori123

this may be due to Lifecycle state securities overcoming the Folder security for all files that participate in a state change. I.e. The object based security is overridden with the system security adopted from the State

System ACL is overriding Object- based ACL automatically as soon as a file goes through a state transition.

Can you check it is the System security from the Lifecycle State that is applied to your files?  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report