Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault/Inventor Checked Out Conflict

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
billbrenner4604
895 Views, 4 Replies

Vault/Inventor Checked Out Conflict

We recently upgraded 5 seats from Inventor 2010 to 2012, and did the same for the vault server/clients. Three of the upgraded seats also went from older xp 32-bit systems to new Win7 64 bit systems.

On the 3 seats that got new computers I simply copied our vault working folders to the network from the old machine and then copied that folder to the new computers making sure that the path(s) stayed identical. There is no issue when using the vault program - all files show the status as they should (checked out, checked out to another user, etc....).

However, when you look at the vault status from within Inventor there is an issue where it is showing files that are checked out to the logged in user as being logged out to that user, but at the same time it's as if the file is checked out to another user - ie, most of the vault options are greyed out other than undo checkout. It's very odd, I know that the computer names have changed, but the user log-ins for both the vault and our network have not changed.

There is of course a simple work-around which is to undo checkout of the part and then check it back out while making sure NOT to get latest from vault. I am just curious if anyone else has come across this before or has an idea of how to fix it so that we don't have to continue with the extra file checking out. Even if I can't fix it I would be curious to find out what steps I could have taken to have avoided this.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
olearya
in reply to: billbrenner4604

Hi Bill,

In addition to knowing who checked out the file, Vault remembers the machine the files were checked out to - the logic here is that if a user logs in from a different machine and checks in a file they will not be checking in the latest file - the latest file by definition should be on the machine it was checked out on.

So in reality the only way to avoid this is to check all your data in prior to moving to a new machine and you have quite rightly identified the corrective action to be taken.

Hope this helps.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 5
billbrenner4604
in reply to: olearya

Allan,

Thank you for the quick response. We were thrown into the upgrade on fairly short notice, so I didn't take the time to have everyone check in all their files, I thought about it, but in reality I don't know if we would have had time to do it.

Thanks again,

Bill

Message 4 of 5

To help with identifying which machine the file is checked out to, you can Customize View in Vault Explorer to include the field Checked Out Machine.

Bob

Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the tip - I have added that field to my vault settings. I'm going to have my IT guy rename the new computers on Monday to match the old names, probably won't work, but it's worth a try.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums