Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Error When Trying to Move Files

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
4081 Views, 24 Replies

Vault Error When Trying to Move Files

I get this error when trying to move a file into certain folders (not all)

"No acceptable project file was found. An acceptable project file will contain all of the affected files within its workspace and/or libraries after the Vault operation completes."

No file types will go into certain folders. At one time they would, and files could be moved freely between the folders.

What is causing this to happen?

TIA
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
lei.hong
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

When moving Inventor file, Vault will automatically update all reference to the file which requires Inventor Project file (.ipj). So vault will look for project file upward folders and your file can only move inside the Inventor Project. Can you check if you are trying to move outside project?

Erik

Erik Hong
Product Designer
Data Management
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 25
youc

Hi,

I guess you're trying to move an Inventor file outside the folder strucuture tree under the folder holding the project file. For Inventor files, this is not allowed because Inventor files should be under the folder structure of project file to maintain file reference.

As a workaround, you may firstly move the project file up to folder above the target folder where the Inventor file is expected to move, and then move the Inventor file to the target folder.

Thanks,
Carol
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: youc

I have got the same error. However, I am trying to move a file from one sub-folder to another sub-folder. Both are located under the folder which contain the project file.

Message 5 of 25
Kenny

Hi davesm:

The folder which contains the project file may be not the workspace of the project. We can set the sub folder as the wrok space.

844i706AC49C3FA65F74

Please check the workspace of the project. I think the workspace of the project should be the first sub folder, so if you move the file to second folder, vault will prompt you move the file out of the workspace. 

Thanks

Kenny

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous

Me too, ugh.... 2011 adms..

Message 7 of 25
kmiller

Anyone ever find a fix for this?  I have 1 user out of 20-30 that has this issue happen everytime they try to move a file in the vault.  We all use the same configs so I can't imagine it has something to do with the project file.  The only thing I can think of on his is that he has two different files with the same file name prompting for issue with not having unique file names.  However I have this same problem on my computer with his particular files.  We haven't had anyone else with issues trying to move files. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this response answers your question please click "Accept as Solution".
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous

The lastest service patch fixed this error.

Message 9 of 25
cmcconnell

I wish I could say the same.

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 10 of 25
Anonymous

I disagree, the last service pack only fixed this for some people. My vault is still very slow, and gives me an error most of the time when trying to move files. Autodesk has been trying to fix tthis for us, but nothing has been resolved as of yet. I recommend going to your vendor and making a service request.

Message 11 of 25
cmcconnell

Autodesk is also trying fix my issues...

Message 12 of 25
cjr
Participant

We were experiencing the same issues along with a host of other problems (stream errors etc.) since upgrading from Vault 2010 to 2011.  We have been in contact with Autodesk for several weeks with no results.  In our case the problem hinges soley on the fact that all domain users on our SBS 2008 Premium server are setup with the default "Redirected Folders" group policy.  This is a terrific option that puts a synconized copy of all contents of "My Documents" on the server which allows for nightly back-ups.  This is an out of the box setup that we first used back when we installed out SBS 2003 server and when we recently migrated to SBS 2008, we kept the same default option.

We have never had ANY problems with ANY program using this setup (including all Autodesk programs prior to Vault 2010).  Once we installed Vault 2010 all hell broke loose.  After weeks of trying, I moved our Vault work areas out of "My Documents" to a local folder on root c:\ and problems were solved.  In comes Vault 2011 and suddenly we get this problem along with stream errors along with problems moving/copying files within the vault folders. Again, weeks of trying to get Imaginit and Autodesk to fix but they won't take ownership that Autodesk is the only thing that changed.

Solution I found was to take ALL CAD users out of the redirected folder Group Policy.  This means there are no references to any netowrk drives or UNC folders in anything related to Inventor or Vault.  We changed all the PATH options in Inventor options to reference local folders (no UNC paths anymore) and problem solved.  Copy/Move fixed.  Stream errors fixed.  Project file errors fixed.

Now if we could only figure out why it takes 22-25 second for Vault to update when the "uses" tab or "where used" tab is selected.....

Please see attached file illustrating changes we made to Inventor Paths.

Chris

1945i7909E2AAD88B1CC6

Message 13 of 25
cmcconnell
in reply to: cjr

I have a similar SBS environment with my documents redirection enabled. We have removed all of the user profile pathes from Inventor - this helped with rename, but I am still seeing the project file error when attempting to move almost anything. I will try removing myself from the redirect GP and see if that makes a difference.

Like you, I am still seeing the performance issues...

I wonder if development has realized what all of these "enhancements" have cost.

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous

With 2011, some of our customers are experiencing the same problems with moving files and folders.

What I found is that moving the vault project file from the root folder ($) and down to the workspace folder, solved the problem!

Old structure

$\Vaultproject.ipj       (Workspace = c:\VaultWork\Workspace)

...Workspace

New structure

$

...\Workspace

...\Workspace\VaultProject.ipj (Workspace = . )

-I don't see any logical explanation why this solves the problem, but it does 🙂

Perhaps the internal routine used by Vault does not iterate all the folders up to the top ($) to find the project file.

Message 15 of 25
kmiller

Hey there,

We have all of our support paths and the workspace folder set to . for our project folder.  We haven't seemed to find a concrete fix.  Using the service pack fixed one computer but not the other.  Putting a copy of the project file directly underneath the path of the file we tried to move worked, but for one file in the directory not the other.  One other directory we have one of the files moved no problem, the other none of the above fixes worked. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: cmcconnell

Has anyone actually found a fix for this? We have tried reinstalling the vault software with and updating it but still no luck. We have 5 machines here and 2 of them have this problem.

Message 17 of 25
kmiller

As for us,

No luck here.  Same with you.  Still glitchy, some computers can, some can't.  It's not even file specific.  Because one user can try to move a file and it don't work, when another user logs in as themselves, trying to move the same file it will work.  Tried some updates, seemed to work on some computers and not on others. 

Nothing concrete yet on our end.  Hope someone else will be able to shed some light on the subject! 

Message 18 of 25
RonnieWilkins
in reply to: kmiller

Guys,

We have a client experiencing the same issues. My client was told to try the following.  The client stated that they can move some files but still have issues.  We are trying to figure this one out as well.

Can you try and see if this resolves your issues?

***These steps were provided to our customer by Autodesk***

Make sure all the applications (Inventor, Vault, etc) are closed when making the changes.

*It might be wise to reboot or kill/restart explorer.exe before attempting as I have personally noted that sometimes explorer keeps a reference to project files even when Inventor shuts down* (RW)

1. Delete the TEMP & TMP user variables.

2. In addition to user variables, go to "\\syncserver\users\[useraccount]\Documents\Inventor\" and delete all IPJ link shortcuts.

I will be going onsite tomorrow 1/25/2011 to see if customer is still setup the way Autodesk told them to be and verify if the fix is working correctly.

Ronnie Wilkins, Jr.
Message 19 of 25
cjr
Participant

I just wanted to comment that I also cleared out the C:\TEMP folder and all links to any *.ipj files before I disabled our Group Policy and before I changed all my UNC paths.

Chris

Message 20 of 25
Anonymous

My customers still have this problem with Vault 2011 (with or without Update 1+2), also applies to the VW/VC/VP products. I can guarantee that the project file is not at fault. I have also tried various combinations of project files (project file with/without relative workspace, project file pointing directly to the project folder etc).

Any news?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report