Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Basic... Redundant Server

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Rob.O
398 Views, 2 Replies

Vault Basic... Redundant Server

Hi all,

I have done a lot of searching and have not found a discussion on this topic so I would like to get a discussion going about redundant servers when using Vault Basic.

In a nut shell... We have a Vault server that we highly depend on. It is a workhorse serving 30+ users on a daily basis. Since we are currently using Vault Basic, we have daily Vault backups, but no replication.  We are attached to a manufacturing plant and must continually feed the plant drawings or the company loses money.

If the single Vault server crashed, it would be devastating.  No one would be able to access the Vault files stored on that server until brought back online or another server was configured to replace it.

I am wondering how others that are using Vault Basic and a single server handle this potential risk.  Is it possible to create a redundant server that runs alongside the main server.  Maybe you have a duplicate server model sitting on the shelf just in case something like this should occur?

What are our options?

We plan to upgrade to Vault Pro, but it's not in the budget at this time.  At that point we can use replication, but until then...

Thanks for any advice!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
MarkMazour
in reply to: Rob.O

We have a DR (disaster recovery) plan that uses a second server with Vault installed and a few batch files on both servers. Using Task Scheduler I run the backup (via command line), copy the backup folder to the DR server. On the DR server I have a .net exe file that I wrote that gets the backup folder name (as the name changes on each run to the date and time schema) and rewrites a restore bat with the new foldername. After that I run the new restore.bat file. If there is a situatiuon where the production servers crashes or we lose a SAN all I have to do is point our users to the dr server.

Of course we would lose a day of work but this meets our RPO.

Message 3 of 3
swalton
in reply to: Rob.O

We run Vault Collaboration 2012 with a replicated filestore, but not database.

We run our vault on a virtual machine.  We have two physical servers that host the virtual machines and a SAN that stores the disk images.  One machine is the production host, the other is the hot spare.  Every so often, we swap machines.  We image the SAN to an offsite machine twice a day.

If we have a hardware failure on the production host, we switch to the hot spare.  If we have a hardware failure on the local SAN, we go get the offsite SAN and put in into the local server rack.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report