Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Autonumbering and Copy Design

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
swalton
805 Views, 4 Replies

Vault Autonumbering and Copy Design

I am testing the Autonumbering tool with IV 2012 and Vault Collaboration 2012.  I like how it works with saving files from IV, but I can't figure out how to use it during a "Copy Design" command in Vault.

Is automatic numbering of copied files supported and where do I select the correct numbering scheme for my files? 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
achintam
in reply to: swalton

Hello,

Currently Auto-Numbering is not supported inside Copy Design, however, we are looking at addressing this in a future release.  In the mean, you may want to consider working around it by renaming the Copied files by selecting the desired numbering scheme from the Rename wizard.  If you are okay with using the workaround, you can also consider using a Prefix/Suffix inside Copy Design, then search for all the files having that unique Prefix/Suffix in their name and perform a batch Rename.

Regards

Anil Chintamaneni (Autodesk)

Message 3 of 5
koeltzsch
in reply to: achintam

Hello,

I skip posting a new thread about this topic.

I'll add here the same request to enforce the need of such a functionality. Both commands (numbering scheme and copy design) are very helpful functionalities inside vault but must be combined as soon as possible. It is absolutely inconvenient being forced to use the rename-command only to get auto-numbered the copied files. It's very time-consuming and leads to more unnecessary file versions.

We're facing more and more situations where this scenario occurs - that's why it would be greatly appreciated to have this issue fixed within the next vault release 2014.

Autodesk - please prioritize this!

Thanks and Regards,

DK

Message 4 of 5
swalton

It would also be nice to be able to edit iproperties while in the copy design window.  That way I can fix my part descriptions without creating extra new versions.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 5
steveh3

Swalton...our best work around that we have found is to have Inventor open and do a saveas. Have it grab a number and do a copy from the filename line. Cancel out of the Saveas window and then go back to Vault and paste in the number in Copy Design. I know it's not ideal, but it's the best we got right now.

Inventor---Vault Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report