Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2013 limitations?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
L.van.Gorsel
666 Views, 2 Replies

Vault 2013 limitations?

Hi all,

Does somebody know a whitepaper for limitations and best settings for Vault Basic 2013?

One of my clients have a Filestore of 249 GB and a database of 13,99 GB. The Filestore and Database and SQL program are installed on a SQL 2008 R2 standard server. I think half of the Vaulted files could be archived, but is it necessary or wise? Or won't give it any problems if the filestore and database grows unlimited?

Thanks in advance.

Leander.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Green check.png  Please mark "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013, 2014 & 2015 Certified Professional
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
scottmoyse
in reply to: L.van.Gorsel

I don't believe there is anything official. I don't think this is an outrageous situation by any means (based on what I know & have discussed with others), but it might be worth looking at how much of that info is actually used. I suppose the real question is, are they seeing any performance drop offs as the DB & FS start to bloat? If they aren't its probably fine, it's quite likely the first thing which will start becoming a problem is the time it takes to back up the data.

If there are performance issues, then is the hardware up to scratch? If it is, then maybe looking into ways to archive the info would be a good move. Setup a new Vault, move across all the relevant information, start afresh & detach & archive the old Vault (the question then is what happens with migrating that data with each release to make sure its still useable?). Surely Autodesk have some proper proceedures here since they will have come across this with other clients.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 3 of 3
L.van.Gorsel
in reply to: scottmoyse

Hi Scott (and Chris Mitchell),

Thank you for your answers. Unfortunately they aren't what I hoped for...

At the moment they have some slight performance issues, but I cannot really point it out to the big size of the filestore / database, ore to the hardware, installation or to usage. Probably it would be a combination of these facts...

But yesterday we couldn't check in anymore files into the vault. We've got some warnings about relational path's which couldn't be found and about the filestore which couldn't be found... The problem was the harddisk, it was completely full. (o bytes left) I haven't seen that before, so I thought it would be some physical problem with the disk. But after removing some data from the disk we could check in again, and the problems looks like to be solved at the moment.

Some years ago I worked with an other company, and they used the SQL Express version, with limitation of 4 GB (10GB today). They didn't know that, and at some day they reached this border, and their complete Vault crashed. Database corrupt, Filestore not usable etc. Big problems.... I want to be one step in front of that, and that's why I would like to know the limits of the SQL 2008 R2 standard version / Vault standard configuration. So I don't have to wait when troubles starts to know I'm to late with cleaning up the Vault to reasanoble proportions.

I know SQL 2008 R2 Standard has an limitation of 524 PB for the database size, 32767 files per database, 16 TB File size (data) and 2 TB File size (log) see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143432(v=sql.105).aspx 

But I also know that the theoretical limits won't work in practices. And I don't know if Vault server (standard) is solid enough to support these same limits. (I don't think so, but I cannot prove it...)

Just like the good old Beta days I would like to pledge to Autodesk if anybody would spent some time to look at this, and look if there are some short, plain whitepapers of the Vault about limitations and good use of it. If there isn't, perhaps its a good idea to make some, to help dedicated users like me... They have made this nice piece of software,  I think they should know the theoretical AND practical limits of it.

Cheers.

Green check.png  Please mark "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful
Autodesk Inventor 2013, 2014 & 2015 Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report