Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2013 - Rename Error - "File Reference cannot be fixed in Parent"

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
karthur1
2715 Views, 16 Replies

Vault 2013 - Rename Error - "File Reference cannot be fixed in Parent"

Trying to rename this part in Vault Basic 2013.  When I do, I get an error message "File reference cannot be fixed in parent".  Here is what I have tried so far, but none of these helps.

Closed/restarted Vault.  Same error.

Logged out and then logged in under a different user.  Same error.

Selected the file before I tried to rename it and did a "Update File Reference".  Same error.

Selected the folder that this file resides in and then "Update File Reference".  Same error.

I can go to a different workstation and rename the file, but not from this workstation.  I suspect after I rename it from the one, I can then rename again from the one that is giving me trouble now.

Both clients have the same hotpatches (DL 19857773, 19837065, 19384851, 18674074) installed.

(Ref. G4465-100-6.ipt)

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Senthil_Kumar
in reply to: karthur1

Are you able to Open the file - I suppose it is an Inventor file - without any issue? Also are you able to Open it's parent as well?

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 3 of 17
karthur1
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

Senthil,

When I try to open the associated idw from Vault Explorer, I get an error "Error updating file links".

2012-09-20_0942.png

I can open the idw on a different workstation and can also rename the file.  Its this one client that I'm having the trouble with.  There is not any trouble with renaming other files on this workstation... just this one.

Message 4 of 17
Senthil_Kumar

Kirk,

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure why that happens only with that client and not with others. I am checking with the team on this.

In the meantime can you try the following and see if that helps.

1. Remove/ Move the files from local. Then try Get/Check out to download the files from Client

If that also shows error

2. Go to the client in which you do not see the issue. Open the files. Both IDW and its related files. Check out, Save and Check-in.

3. Now try Get / Check out again from the Client in which you have Problem to see if that works or not.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 5 of 17
cfournier7

I'm having this exact same issue in Vault Basic 2014. I have updated the file reference for the whole assembly & parts & actually the whole vault on my client. I checked with another engineer & he could rename this file no problem so it appears to just be with my client. Is there another solution for this?

vault error 1.jpg

I'm also having a few other problems....my icons seem to be missing for inventor 2014 (they're just showing the generic "I" icon) since a windows update occurred about 2 weeks ago. At that same time i started getting this error in vvault when getting files or trying to check them out. When we migrated we went from 2012 to 2014 & never used inventor or vault 2013. I'm also the only one getting these errors. I just uninstalled & then reinstalled both inventor & vault yesterday & it didn't seem to chenge anything. Everything was fine on this computer until about 2 weeks ago when a windows update occurred.  I may need to put a ticket in with support for both inventor & vault for this, but I was hoping maybe it was just a quick fix.

apprentice vault error.jpg

Message 6 of 17
mdavis22569

I thnk this is the issue where you need to :

vault.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 17
AndyWallace
in reply to: mdavis22569

I'm having this issue after a recent upgrade to Inventor 2016 and Vault Professional. Update file references did not help!

Andy

Andy Wallace
Autodesk Inventor (2016) (3 years)
previously Solidworks (6 years)
Message 8 of 17
pjvdstoel
in reply to: AndyWallace

Vault 2018 basic, same problem. I couldn't rename from my system, but I could using another system. I used the same login details on the vault.

Message 9 of 17

Hi Everybody

Well, just chiming in with the choir.

When trying to rename and copy/design we get "failed to update file reference in parent" or "failed to update apprentice"

We've recently updraded to 2019. Vault basic server and Inventor suite. Everything is updated to inventor 2019.3 and Vault Basic 2009.1.1 (server AND client) - 2018 versions are uninstalled. Windows seems to have registered versions correctly. Have already used reset utility tool.

Anyone working with these issues?

best regards

Morten

on ALL newly installed workstations

Message 10 of 17

Same here.  Running Vault Basic 2019 Build 24.1.42.0, 2019.1.1 Update and our users are seeing this issue on a regular basis.  It shows "File cannot be renamed due to Vault restrictions" and "File reference cannot be fixed in parent".  Reset utility didn't help and neither did a complete removal and reinstall of all AutoDesk software.  If anyone has a solution or workaround, I'd much appreciate hearing about it.

Capture.PNGCapture-2.PNG

Message 11 of 17
karthur1
in reply to: bkimball

Is the part an iPart? 

Curious what the "Vault Restrictions" are.  If you click the "Details >>"  What does it show?  This will usually give you a clue as to what is going on here?

Kirk

Message 12 of 17
bkimball

The details screen just shows the following:

image001.png

Message 13 of 17
karthur1

Is the X1406 files new for this version of vault?  In Vault if you select X1406.iam and then the "Uses" tab, does it show the X1406.ipt file?  Have you ran the "Update File Reference" as shown in the other threads of this discussion?

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 14 of 17

Hi

I have done more or less everything I could think of and what I have been sugested. Updated file references of all kind, checked out and double checking migration, saved and saved, and trouble shooted, I have uninstalled and reinstalled, I have used reset utility tools, I have checked updates on client and server are the same, I have updated inventor, I have defragmented vault, purged vault, updated file status..

Autodesk please join in here 

-Morten 

Message 15 of 17
bkimball

The files were created in the current version and "Update file reference" was ran and it did not fix the issue.

Message 16 of 17
bkimball

So to follow up on this ticket, the user that was having the renaming issue told me last week that it just started working again out of nowhere!?!?!  I guess time will tell if it's fixed or just a fluke.

Message 17 of 17

Hi 

I have had success on the issue - I posted in this thread:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-forum/file-reference-cannot-be-fixed-in-parent/td-p/8531945

Best regards

Morten

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report