Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2012 slow ...... Waiting for grid to display

42 REPLIES 42
Message 1 of 43
karthur1
2504 Views, 42 Replies

Vault 2012 slow ...... Waiting for grid to display

Browsing in Vault 2012 is much slower for me than it was in Vault 2011.  When I click on  a folder, it takes several seconds for the information to come up.  In Vault 2011, it was almost instant.  I'm not talking about large folders with thousands of files in them.  Most of them have only a couple hundred files in the folder.  It is just frustrating having to wait.

I have also saved a search folder to find checked-out files.  It takes it about 10-15 seconds to show the search results.

This installation is using a local vault, so it has nothing to do with the network speed.  Running windows 7x64 and the SQL Express that is installed with ADMS.

Is it just me... or is this what I'm going to have to live with in Vault 2012?

42 REPLIES 42
Message 2 of 43
Andy.Spivey
in reply to: karthur1

Kirk,

Is there any antivirus that may be filtering the traffic?  If so, can you set exceptions for the Vault, Inventor, Vault Server, etc, executibles?

Typically when I see this behavior there is some application scanning all the network calls slowing down the process.

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 3 of 43
iamerm
in reply to: Andy.Spivey

We're still using Autodesk Vault 2011.  A few weeks ago, for no apparent reason, it started getting really sluggish in the same way as described in the original post.  I suspected a network problem, but maybe it could have to do with antivirus software.

Just curious to see if anyone has further updates on this.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 43
Miwa75

We´re having exact the same problem with slow search. I have tried both with and without antivirus and it´s still the same problem. We have tried to increase memory and speed on the server but without luck.

Message 5 of 43
mthomas

Its not just you. Since moving to Vault Pro 2012 we have seen the exact same thing. We have the Vault server on a server that does not have an anti-virus so we know that is not the problem. We tried deleting and rebuilding the search indexes which did not help.

I logged it with Autodesk Tech Support (which I would recommend you do as well) and are patiently awaiting a fix

Mike

Mike Thomas

Message 6 of 43
rzara

We're having the same issue.  We contracted our dealer to come in and upgrade us from Vault 2009 to Vault 2012 along with all of the Inventor products and now when we login to Vault it takes 20-30 seconds to bring up our grid.  This also required a SQL upgrade from SQL Express 2005 to 2008.

Has anyone discovered what the problem is?

Message 7 of 43
xspenm
in reply to: rzara

Ticks to all of the Above guys, We turned off Virus Software on server ect ect,

I also noticed one thing mentioned above

we were required to do a SQL upgrade from SQL 2005 to 2008.!!!!

Message 8 of 43
xspenm
in reply to: xspenm

FYI - Peformed a defrag & Rebuild search index on database - problem fixed for us

Message 9 of 43
xspenm
in reply to: mthomas

Peformed a defrag & Rebuild search index on database - problem fixed for us

Message 10 of 43
mthomas

We unfortunately tried the defrag / search index rebuild without success.

Mike Thomas

Message 11 of 43
Andy.Spivey

If you remove some colums, does the grid display faster?  If you remove all column but one, does the grid display faster?  If so  (expected) if you reset the grid to show the desired columns, does the grid populate faster?

Are they are metrics you can provide?  (IE, on a folder of DWG files of ~400 files, the grid takes 45 seconds to display?)

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 12 of 43
xspenm

Is the problem only on the server with the database ??

Not the best test I know, but we installed the vault client on the server to see if it experienced the delays still ( to totally rule out the network )!!

Does the delay happen with a blank vault with some files checked in.

Possible other fixes

utility either the Move or the Detatch / Re-attach file store  may help in the ADMS console.

to possibly reset the database in some way.

Also, I think there are some defrag / indexing tools within the SQL server software - they may help

From the sounds of it, I'm sure you have tried all of the above. Anyhow. Good luck!!

Message 13 of 43
xspenm

Update - we were OK for a day after defraging & indexing in the AMDS console.

The problems came back.

We then did a SQL defrag / Index, it's been OK for two days now, Touch wood !! we may have found whats causing this.

Message 14 of 43
Rob.O

I have seen this mentioned several times, but I have not been able to find solid info on how to defrag and SQL database.  I assume this differs from the defrag built into the ADMS console (File Store???).

Can someone shed some light on how to go about defragging and indexing the SQL database?

TIA!

Message 15 of 43
Andy.Spivey
in reply to: Rob.O

Rob,

A SQL maintenance plan will do more for you than a defragment of the database from inside the Vault Server console.

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 16 of 43

Totally agree, a SQL Maintenance plan is the best way.

More information: http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/2012/Help/03._Installation_and_Configuration/Vault_2011_Advan...

It will increase the performance of browsing folder, search, update reference file, etc.

The best is to plan this maintenance every week.

Message 17 of 43
karthur1
in reply to: xavier_dumont1

In the link you provided, it says to "Login to SQL Management Studio".  Where is that exactly on the server.  Under the Start >Programs> Microsoft SQL Server, I have the following shortcuts.

Am I missing something or is it in another location?

I'm using full SQL 2008.

2011-08-30_0731.png

Message 18 of 43
xavier_dumont1

It seem you don't install the Connectivity Tools when installing SQL 2008.

For our customer, we apply the maintenance of SQL Express like the batch that Autodesk mentionned in this webpage.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/2012/Help/03._Installation_and_Configuration/Vault_2012_Advan...

Be carefull, be sure to have a good backup before applying something in your Vault (it just in case of problem). You can ask your reseller to apply this maintenance plan.

Sorry, the link in my precedent post is for 2011

For 2012:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/2012/Help/03._Installation_and_Configuration/Vault_2012_Advan...

Message 19 of 43

AND VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Don't purge your Vault !!!! We discover this week-end a bug when purging Vault (any version). The purge command will delete files that are used by another files. Then in Vault Explorer when you see an assembly before and after a purge, some dependency will disapear. This bug is confirmed by the developpement.

Message 20 of 43
karthur1
in reply to: xavier_dumont1

Now that could be a disaster!!  It would be good if they come upon a problem like this, they post it and warn ppl about it, rather than letting others stumble across it.

Something like this...?..http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Should-auto-desk-be-held-accountable-for-errors-caus...

Thanks for the heads up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report