Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2012 slow ...... Waiting for grid to display

42 REPLIES 42
Message 1 of 43
karthur1
2484 Views, 42 Replies

Vault 2012 slow ...... Waiting for grid to display

Browsing in Vault 2012 is much slower for me than it was in Vault 2011.  When I click on  a folder, it takes several seconds for the information to come up.  In Vault 2011, it was almost instant.  I'm not talking about large folders with thousands of files in them.  Most of them have only a couple hundred files in the folder.  It is just frustrating having to wait.

I have also saved a search folder to find checked-out files.  It takes it about 10-15 seconds to show the search results.

This installation is using a local vault, so it has nothing to do with the network speed.  Running windows 7x64 and the SQL Express that is installed with ADMS.

Is it just me... or is this what I'm going to have to live with in Vault 2012?

42 REPLIES 42
Message 21 of 43
karthur1
in reply to: xavier_dumont2

It sounds like you have a support request logged against the purge defect. Hopefully I will see the hotfix "if" they release one. Would you mind updating this thread "if" they issue a hotfix?

Thanks

Message 22 of 43
xavier_dumont2
in reply to: karthur1

Yes a support request is open by Autodesk. I will put the link here when the hotfix is released.

Message 23 of 43
henrik.andersen

Have noticed that Vault now waits until all status and property values are updated before displaying the file-list. In previous versions the file-list was dibsplayed and then the updated with correct file-status and property data.

In the prevoius versions the user could start navigating and scrolling through the lists in an earlier stage. Now they have to wait a few seconds longer. This partly explains the slow grid in Vault Explorer but the open-dialog in Inventor is also very slow so I guess its more into it than just delayed diplaying of the files.

Message 24 of 43
karthur1

Are you still waiting for a fix for this issue?  Did either TS17309387 or TS17313115 fix the grid display problem?  I havent tried either hotfix to see.

Message 25 of 43
henrik.andersen

It did not help for my cusotmer.

They have a folder with 3000 idw files in it and a subfolder containg 4300 parts and assemblies

When accessing this it takes about 10-25 seconds to update the file list in vault  exporer but that's the biggest problem.

When they want to access an ipt/iam file from from inventor they have first goto the idw folder to accessthe subfolder containg the ipt/iam. In Inventor it takes about 25-60 seconds before the files in the first folder to appear and about the same time for the files in the subfolder.

Message 26 of 43
Denkema

This is an old thread, but is the problem solved? Did autodesk released a hotfix for this problem?

The Vault Performance Hotfix (ts17309387) does not solve my customers problem. Also a re-index, defragmentation, security on the mdf and ldf does not solve their problem.

Can somebody update this thread with the Autodesk Support case?

Kind regard,

Message 27 of 43
rhunter

Having the same problem with 2011. Logged a call with our reseller about it. Not really getting anywhere fast though. Our slow down was overnight and seemed to coincide with a fairly large windows update (this may be a coincidence). We have tried disabling our anti-virus etc but no luck. The issues began around the 9th September.

Message 28 of 43
Miwa75

I have tested everything that as been suggested in this thread and it´s still extremly slow.

Message 29 of 43
xspenm
in reply to: mthomas

Update - we posted an earlier message to this problem.

We found the problem happened straight after we upgraded from Inv 2011 to Inv 2012.

& Microsoft SQL 2005 to 2008.

Note also we did a purge on Vault after our upgrade.

previously we listed that rebuilding index fixed problem. It seemed to fix it ( but it was only for a day )

We have tried everything else - de- installing all other software on server ( including virus software ) to no avail.

At this point we are out of ideas and very frustrated.

The only thing that I can think of at this point that may work is

1 - to rebuild the server & do a restore

or

2 - Rebuild the server & use autoloader to reload vault 

Sigh ............Who has the time to do this!!!!   Autodesk perhaps!!

Message 30 of 43
mdurst
in reply to: xspenm

I just installed Vault Collaboration 2012 (ADMS) on a Windows Server 2008 R2 64-Bit machine running SQL 2008 R2 Enterprise (no Service Pack 1 as it's not supported) with 56 GB of RAM,

I restored a filestore and database from Vault 2011 running SQL Express 2008.  I took the database from SQL Express 2008 to SQL Express 2008 R2 and then up to SQL 2008 R2 Enterprise as this is the required upgrade path for SQL.

I installed Vault Collaboration (client) on my Windows 7 64 Bit client machine and when accessing the root of the Vault or any folder for that matter, it displays "Searching" and takes about a minute to populate the grid.

The old server with Vault 2011 is still up and running and when I connect to that, it has absolutely no issues like this at all.

I have tried a number of things to resolve on the issue on the 2012 Vault.  I would have expected this setup to run circles around the old hardware and configuration as the current 2011 Vault is running on a Windows Server 2003 32 bit machine with 3.5 GB of RAM.

Tried:

- Applied SP1 for Vault Collaboration 2012

- Ran SQL Maintenance Plan

- Defrag on Database

- Delete Indexes folder and Rebuild Search Indexes

- Detach and Reattach Database inside Vault

- Applied AutodeskVault, Network Service and Local Admin account Full access to Application, FileStore and Database partitions

- No Anti-Virus Scanning

Current File Store and Database:

FS: 56.00 GB

DB: 5.50 GB

Partition Configuration:

C:\ Application Files (ADMS, SQL, etc...)

D:\ Databases (KVM, Vault and Content Center MDF)

E:\ Logs (SQL LDF and Content Center LDF)

F:\ FileStore (Vault CAD data)

I am out of options at this point.  Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?

Message 31 of 43
rzara

Look at the early post in this thread posted on 9/1/2011.

Basically the older vault version strated to show the user info as it received it from the query and allowed the user to scroll through as it was being loaded.  Autodesk changed it so that now it will not show the user anything until ALL of the data is downloaded from the vault server including preview icons, etc.  My guess is that you have a fair number of entries in each folder.  So if you do have a large number of entries in each folder this is a killer.

Not sure why Autodesk would make such a change however their testing obviously did not test for the case of having a flat file directory, which is what our original dealer suggested we do when we first installed back in 2009.

Message 32 of 43
mdurst
in reply to: rzara

I do not think this is the issue entirely.  There is a setting within the ADMS Console which allows you to change the number of items to show on a page in the Vault client within a range from 25-1000.  I have set this to 25, so displaying 25 items on a page is not a large task at all.  The other difference with 2012 is that it does show folders in the grid view as well as files.  I am going to change the filter to only show files to see if this helps.

If I improve this at all I will report back.  Thank you for your response.

-Matt

Message 33 of 43
karthur1
in reply to: mdurst

I dont think that is your problem either.  There would have to be thousands of files in the one directory for it to take that long.  Just curious though, how many files are in the directory you are trying to display?

One on my largest folders has about 2000 files and it takes only a few seconds to load all the data the first time I click on it.  If I go to a different folder and come back to this one, it loads much quicker the next time.

Message 34 of 43
mdurst

Time it takes once clicking on the Root or a folder:

Project Explorer ($) - 3 Folders - 1 File -  36 Seconds

Project (Folder) - 11 Folders - 1 File - 2 Mins 38 Seconds

The weird thing is, if I do a search on that folder or on the Root, it displays quick like it should.  It's just when it's populating the main grid just by clicking on a folder.

Also, the Web Client takes a long time to login intially and about the same time (maybe a little less) when you click on the same Project folder above.

I'm working with Autodesk right now to try and get this resolved.  Initially we thought it was an IIS issue, but we created another dummy Vault, (of course it didn't have any data in it except a few files and folders) and logging in via the Web Client and clicking on the folder in the thick client displayed like normal.  We are now thinking it's a database issue.  I'm uploading the database to them tonight for further investigation.  I pray I get this fixed.  This is going to be unacceptable if we cannot resolve it.

Message 35 of 43
dbrizio

I am experiencing the same annoying problem with one of our customers.

They have a pretty big Vault database, 12.5Gb . With Vault 2011 they didn't experience any problem at all, everything worked like a charm and it was really fast.

After upgrading to Vault 2012+SQL 2008 Full SP2, same hardware of the server, same hardware on the clients, same configuration, same antiviruses, etc etc...everything went down the hill: the grid takes ages to popullate and show up, even for little folders, the normal operations of checkin/checkout are incredibly slow, and until now I haven't found a solution yet.

I have already tried almost all the solutions provided in the other posts in this thread, without any luck.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is the SQL maintenance plan, but I read that others tried it with no success.

I will let you know if we find a solution: in the meanwhile, the customer is very angry with Autodesk and is already checking how to migrate everything to a competitor software...

Dave

Message 36 of 43
mdurst
in reply to: dbrizio

What I have found to fix this issue is to modify the memory usage inside SQL.  By default SQL will use as much memory as it can get it hands on.  If you set a limit, the performance seems to increase.

Right-Click the AutodeskVault Instance

Properties

Memory

I have found success with using a value of 8192 (8GB).

I have also found using anything above this value brought the issue back.  Autodesk claims this is an issue with Microsoft SQL and 64 Bit OS.

Let me know if you see success  by modifying this value.

Message 37 of 43
Andy.Spivey
in reply to: dbrizio

Dave,

Along with the suggestion posted by Matt (SQL x64 only), also look into setting up / verifying the SQL maintenance plan.  Additionally, any exceptions that were set in the AV software will need to be updated to reflect the 2012 product line - IE, if you have an exception set for C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ADMS 2011\ADMS Console\Connectivity.admsconsole.exe, it will need to be updated to reflect the 2012 console executible.

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 38 of 43
xavier_dumont2
in reply to: rzara

Hello,

You set the limit to 8Gb. Does it depend on the amount of physical RAM of the server?

Thanks in advance.

Message 39 of 43
mdurst

Yes, it does.  Set it accordingly to how much you have on the system  The system I had been working with had 56GB of RAM.  It was disappointing to know I could only use 8GB of that for SQL.

Message 40 of 43
dbrizio

I solved my problem.

This is what I did; it could lead to solution also with your similar problems:

- I checked in the IIS, and I noticed that the Default Website was using the ASP.NET 1.0 instead of the 2.0, and corrected the mistake

- I stopped and restarted the MSSQL$AUTODESKVAULT service

- I configured the list of researchable properties of the files, diminishing their number ( I didn't deactivate them, just made them not searchable)

- Defragged the DB

- Scheduled an SQL maintenance plan, following the instructions in the Advanced Configuration Guide of Autodesk Vault

Of all the above things what really helped in improving the performances was the stopping and restart of the SQL service. The SQL tends to grow in size inside the RAM of the server, and when it reaches around 2 Gb it begun to slow down the whole service. In my case, it took at least 8 hours to reach that size, even with no customers working (i.e. at night).

The solution was scheduling this 2 lines of code which run every MORNING at 07:00am before the customers get in office. In this way, they aways begin to work with a clean SQL service, fresh and just started and everything works like a charm.

Those are the 2 lines to stop and restart the service (put them in a .BAT and use the scheduled operations of windows to run it every morning):

net stop MSSQL$AUTODESKVAULT /Y

net start MSSQL$AUTODESKVAULT

the /Y is needed to run it in silent mode; otherwise it would ask if you are sure.

I hope it will help you solve some of your performance problems too.

Cheers,

Davide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report