Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2012 Pro and client on same machine

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
tmccar
634 Views, 17 Replies

Vault 2012 Pro and client on same machine

I would like to set up a test installation of Vault Pro 2012 Server and client on my laptop. I have installed Vault Pro Server 2012 Pro (for which I have a product key) and 2012 Vault Pro client.

I have pointed the LICPATH.LIC to my laptop's IP address and MAC address. and I have disabled IPV6.

I also created an environment variable ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE and set the vaule to be the laptop hostname.

I am getting the message "Unable to acquire license" when I try to log in to the Vault.

Is there anything else that might be causing this error?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Andy.Spivey
in reply to: tmccar

Is the FlexNET service configured to host your 2012 VP licese?

Is the service started?

Does a status inquery show that liceses are available?

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 3 of 18
DarrenP
in reply to: Andy.Spivey

did you generate a license file for your laptop?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 18
tmccar

Pardon my ignorance but I had not carried out this step. Will do so when I get back to the office, thanks

Tom

Message 5 of 18
tmccar

I have run a ststus enquiry and it shows various license servers, but I don't see my local one which I know has one license available.  Why would it not be showing? Is this a permissions issue?

Message 6 of 18
tmccar
in reply to: DarrenP

Will you explain how to generate this file please?

Message 7 of 18
Andy.Spivey

tmccar, I did not follow your last update.

So you perform the Enquery from LMTOOLS (per image below) and the licenses are not listed?

License_Enquery.PNG

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 8 of 18
tmccar

Yes, they are listed - 47 licenses,  and 7 in use

Message 9 of 18
Andy.Spivey

So to clarify, there are 47 vault licenses hosted on your machine, 7 folks are able to connect and obtain a license from other machine.  The only machine that cannot obtain a license is the maching hosting FlexNET itself?

Can you remove the environmental variable that was created above and change the LICPATH.LIC to read:

SERVER 127.0.0.1 000000000000
USE_SERVER

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 10 of 18
tmccar

They are the figures for the license server, not my laptop.

Message 11 of 18
Andy.Spivey

If you change the LICPATH.LIC then to point to the IPv4 address of the license server and not your machine?

I was under the impression that you were running the 2012 client, 2012 server, and license server with 2012 licenses on your machine.

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 12 of 18
tmccar

No, I have a standalone Vault Server 2012 installation (I have a product key for it). When i install the server on my laptop, it prompts for either the product key or the license server. I tried it initially with the product key, but I got the error.

Then I decided to try it with the license server option. Now our reseller has told us that there is a Vault license on a local server that is not in use. I want  to use this license if possible. But I don't have permissions to the server (I can't map a drive to any of its shares). Could this be why it's not acquiring the license?

And was I better to go with the "Product Key" Option?

Message 13 of 18
Andy.Spivey

Thank you for the detail.  To log in to your laptop's Vault Server through the Vault Client 2012 software, a license will need to be available.  From the description, you will need to modify your LICPATH.LIC file to reflect your FlexNet license server's address.  You can log into the Vault Server console without consuming a client license.

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 14 of 18
tmccar

And if I get a license file from my reseller, how do I install the license file to the laptop? (In other words, can I have the laptop acting as my license server?)

Message 15 of 18
Andy.Spivey

You would need to install the FlexNET license server and configure the service to point to the new license file.  Information on setting up FlexNET should be on the wiki - if not I can write up some steps here.

-OR-

You can point the LICPATH.LIC file on your laptop to your existing 2012 license server and pull a license if available.

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 16 of 18
tmccar

Hi Andy Please explain how to set this up. I now have the license file.

Tom

Message 17 of 18
DarrenP

read here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14379546&linkID=9240617

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 18 of 18
Andy.Spivey

The License manager is installed per:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/2012/Help/03._Installation_and_Configuration/006Vault_Impleme...

Once setup, yuo will need to create a new service and enter the path's to the correct locations.  Besure to select teh Use Serivces and Start Server at Power Up (if you want it to turn on automatically).  Once entered, save teh service.

LicenseService.PNG

Then switch to the Start / Stop / Reread tab and start the service.  You will also want to re-read the licnse file, and then go to the Server Status dialog and perfrom an enquery to ensure the licnse is available.

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report