Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2012 Crashing when opening or previewing Word 2007 documents

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
alh-telesis
650 Views, 10 Replies

Vault 2012 Crashing when opening or previewing Word 2007 documents

Our issue is Basic Vault 2012 (Client) Crashing when opening or previewing Word 2007 documents.

My company just started to get this crash. It has worked correctly for 8 months.

What caused this crash to start now? 

Was it a Microsoft Windows Update, Office 2007 update, Office 2010 update, phase of the moon?

Office SP3 was recently installed on my Office 2007.

The other machine that can reproduce the problem is Office 2010 SP1.

I experimented with uninstalling the Vault Update 1.

Since I had used the Connectivity.Branding.Vault.dll workaround while installing the Vault Update 1, I also took the time to put that file back to normal. That workaround involved using and older copy of the dll from another machine.

To reinstall, I ran Autodesk's ts18131263 (the official Connectivity.Branding.Vault.dll patch) and then installed the same Update 1. It seems to have helped, but did not solve the issue.

By the way, Both of these workstations are Windows 7 64 bit, one with Office 2007 32 bit and one with Office 2010 32 bit, and both had the Connectivity.Branding.Vault.dll workaround while installing the Vault Update 1 last year.

Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Andy.Spivey
in reply to: alh-telesis

alh-alliedmin,

Couple of clarification questions.  From the description, the issue is on two machines; one running Office 2007  and another has Office 2010 SP1 - is that accurate?

The crash occurs when selecting a MS Office document and then viewing the Preview tab and if you select the Office document and clicking the "Open" button from the preview tab?

Does the crash generate a CER - if so have they been submitted?

Regarding the crash, were any Office updates recently applied?  IE, if the crash started occuring 7/3, if you view installed updates for Microsoft Office, were any applied on 7/3 or 7/2?  (control panel -> Programs and Features -> View Installed Updates)

On either of the machines, does the office previewer crash inside of Outlook?  (if you open an email with a Doc attachment, and select the attachment, does it preview correctly?)

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 3 of 11
alh-telesis
in reply to: Andy.Spivey

Hello again Andy,

Workstation 1.

Windows 7 64 bit, Office 2007 SP3, Product Design Suite 2012, Basic Vault 2012

Workstation 2.

Windows 7 64 bit, Office 2010 SP1, Product Design Suite 2012, Basic Vault 2012

The crash occurs when the file is selected and the preview tab is selected.

There is NOT a error report created by the Autodesk debug GUI.

Only the attached Windows 7 Error screen.

Both Workstations installed Office updates on 6/18/12.

Due to a recent corporate policy change, we can no longer decide which updates to install or uninstall.

We now get every update for every small Microsoft patch available, as soon as it's available.

So no, I can't uninstall the updates to see if that corrects the issue.

OUTLOOK Previewer ?? Well now, that's not something I would have thought of.

I'll check and report back tomorrow.

Message 4 of 11
alh-telesis

The Outlook preview does NOT crash.

I tested both .DOC and DOCx files all in the same email.

Basic Vault still crashes when previewing .DOC files.

I do not know if it crashes on .DOCx files, as I've never paid that close of attention.

Message 5 of 11
Andy.Spivey

Are you able to post the Windows Application log in EVTx for review?  (if desired, you could filter out all entryies minues today / yesterday).

Any change if you disable the Document Preview under Tools -> Options? Then go to your DOC file and select the preview tab?

Any crash selecting the file and clicking "Open" to launch Word?

Does the crash re-occur once Document Preview has been re-enabled?

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 6 of 11
alh-telesis

Wow, That's quite a list.

1. EVTx attached in a zip file.

2. No crashing when Document Preview under Tools -> Options is turned off.

3. I never tested this before and will get back to you later.

4. Hmm. There seems to be NO more crashing after I turned the Document Preview back on.

Care to explain that?

If there are no more crashes in the next few days, I'll mark this solved.

Message 7 of 11
Andy.Spivey

Thank you for posting the EVTx file -  The crash is reported but I am unable to determine the underlying cause.

I am glad to hear that disabling and re-enabling the Document Preview option appears to have resolve the issue.

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 8 of 11
alh-telesis

Crashed again this morning.

But the mean time between failures was HUGE. Seemed like a step in the right direction.

I found one instance, while not on the preview tab, that I "Open in Window" correctly, but then the next click on the preview tab crashed.

Message 9 of 11
flickingerd

I'm experiencing the same thing, I think. I'm getting crashes in Vault Professional 2012 when I have the preview tab open and I select a Word 2007 file to view.  Vault does not generate an error report.  It's not every time though.  I'd probably say it happens something like 20% of the time. 

Message 10 of 11
PACDrafting

Andy

Has this been fixed?

Regards

Paul

Message 11 of 11
Andy.Spivey
in reply to: PACDrafting

Hi Paul,

I am not sure if this is still an ongoing issue with the users in this thread.  I do not believe I was ever able to duplicate this in-house.

Can you provide what MS Office and Vault hotfixes you have installed on your system and perhalps a copy of the application eventviewer log entry showing the crash?  If you also have a sample Word doc  that generates the crash that may help duplicate the problem in-house.

Thanks Paul - sorry that you are experiancing this issue.

-Andy

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report