Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2011 Backup Fails

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
daver701
519 Views, 4 Replies

Vault 2011 Backup Fails

Vault Basic 2011 will not complete a manual backup from the ADMS console without failing. It starts validating, and runs for several hours, but then stops without creating any files in the specified folder. It does not throw any error dialogs, it just stops. I checked the ADMS logs (Console and System) and the computer logs (Application and System).

I verified that VaultSys is the owner of the database. AutodeskVault and NETWORK SERVICE have full rights on the destination drive and the filestore folder. The filestore is 137GB and the database is 9.7 GB. The destination drive is a 1TB external flash drive. The internal drive is 350GB RAID 5, which does not have the required 1.5X vault size available, hence the external drive. The Server OS is Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2. The anti-virus is turned off. We have tested the backup with a smaller test vault and it worked.

Our IT folks have been backing up using normal windows backups for the filestore and SQL backups for the database, but have not used the ADMS console. I want to get the vault back on a proper ADMS backup and SQL maintenance schedule. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ihayesjr
in reply to: daver701

Do you have backup log files you can provide?

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 3 of 5
daver701

Hi Ervin,

Yes, I can send you the vlog and console log from last Sat. 12/01/12. I'm also attaching an error dialog that I had not seen before. I had started the backup directly on the server console and I was not able to see it from my remote session later.

I also ran procmon to capture event data, and may have some useful info there, but the files are huge and it would require sending them via web portal. 

On Saturday, I had the validate option checked. I am planning to try it again tonight with validate unchecked.

Just so you don't duplicate effort, talk with Ron Smith who has been helping me troubleshoot this issue on the helpdesk.

Thanks,

Dave

Message 4 of 5
ihayesjr

Have you verified that this file exist? C:\File Store\Vault\000\000\000\000\000\106\106705\106705_106755_4.iam

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 5 of 5
daver701
in reply to: ihayesjr

I clicked Yes in response to the dialog that said “Some files in the file store are either missing or failing validation…do you want to continue with the backup?”. Then the backup continued and finished successfully with no further error dialogs. Validation was turned on. The file QCHANGE TOOL #1 referenced in the 12/01/12 console log as not able to be validated, does not exist in the Vault. To answer your question above, I searched for file 106705_107152_4.iam and verified that it does not exist in the vault. Is it the same file?

I also discovered the command line for connecting to the server console session via remote desktop, so I was able to see any error dialogs remotely.

To summarize the things we changed or checked:

1. Verified that the SQL account name is set to sa
  2. Verified that VaultSys is the owner of the databases
  3. Added users Autodeskvault and NETWORK SERVICE to the destination drive (external), and the filestore directory, and gave them full permissions.
  4. Disabled the antivirus (Sophos)
  5. Ran procmon to capture events
  6. From remote terminal: command line - mstsc /v:servername /admin /console

This one is solved.

Thanks guys,

Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report