Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using iProperties in Define Custom Numbering Schemes

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
cnguyen
322 Views, 7 Replies

Using iProperties in Define Custom Numbering Schemes

We start usingDefine Custom Numbering Schemesin Vault professional 2012 for our filename. Could anyone please tell me how can we use any of iProperties in Define Custom Numbering Schemes? For example, we want to use "stock number" property in our frame generator member filename (ie. W 10x40-00001). Is there a way to set it up? Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
scottmoyse
in reply to: cnguyen

This can only be automated using iParts/iAssemblies and Content Center parts. Its a nice idea though, you should submit it as a Feature Request, I would like that functionality, but based on my understanding of how the Client/Add-in & Server communicate with each other when retrieving the next number in the sequence it could cause problems. 

They will need to change it to check a database instead of just keeping track of the last number it assigned. This is imperative for us to be able to use this feature of Vault anymore. Currently we can't, unfortunately it was one of the main reasons we purchased Vault only to discover its woefully inadequate. 

Here's the link to the Feature request section of this website: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Don't bother using the AUGI feature requests, its pure crap. MCADForums.com have an ok system though.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 3 of 8
cnguyen

Thanks, Scott. Does it mean the current Vault professional 2012 don't have that feature? It would be a shame if it doesn't! Right now, if we don't use the numbering schemes, the Vault would automatically generate the file names for content center part (ie.ANSI- W10x40-00001, etc.). But if we try the numbering schemes, then we would either fill out the file name or just use the number sequential. It would be a pain to do that with a frame (generator) that has more than 10 part members (some time ut can go up to 100 or more parts!). We want to use numbering schemes to ensure the file name is unique. What should we do now? To use ornot to use? Any ideas, anyone?

Thank you for your help...

Message 4 of 8
scottmoyse

the feature doesn't exist in any version to date.

Yes another reason not to use Auto Numbering. However, if you just cancel the auto number command, doesn't it just use the default filename it which would normally be generated?

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 5 of 8
cnguyen

Thanks, Scott. The "skip" button is helped. I think we can stick with numbering schemes for iam & ipt files and using "skip" button for frame generator parts. Thank you for your advice.

PS. By the way, I have submitted to the link you provided. They said they will look into that in the future.

Message 6 of 8
cnguyen

It didn't work for me 😞 The skipping works for frame generator part file names, but then it generated duplicated file names (since it didn't check with the Vault, I guess???). And we end up couldn't check in these files due to Vault unique file name restriction! Ugggggg.... What can we do now? Can you help, Scott? Can you help, any one? Thanks.

Message 7 of 8
scottmoyse

ah yes, sorry, frame generator sucks with Vault I forgot about that. Its a known problem and for some reason Autodesk haven't fixed it yet. Its been an issue since Frame Generator was released.... I'm sorry. Also I believe renaming the frame generator components after the fact causes a number of problems as well.. you are best contacting you reseller or Autodesk support directly on this one.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
cnguyen
in reply to: scottmoyse

Thanks again, Scott. It looks like we are stuck here.... I have contacted Autodesk Product Experience and they do not have a good solution as of now, but will work on that in near future.

Frame generator is a very nice tool. Hopefully Autodesk will come up with a better solution.

Thank you for all your help, Scott.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report