Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Locally

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
billco-mfg
742 Views, 6 Replies

Update Locally

When I use the update (locally) button in the preview tab of Vault Collaboration 2010, the file name is not shown in the titleblock (see attached). The titleblock uses a diesel string to pull in the file name minus the extension.

I have noticed this with files that are generated by AutoCAD Electrical 2010, but it is possible that I would get the same result with our mechanical files. I have Inventor and Autocad Mechanical (2010) with express tools installed locally, but it looks like True View is being used to publish the DWF.

Is there a way to get True View to read the rtext? Or is it possible to set the update button to use Autocad to publish DWFs?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
chearhuat
in reply to: billco-mfg

Hi wehnerk,

wehnerk wrote: Is there a way to get True View to read the rtext?

You might wish to post this question in True View discussion group (link) where experts of TV will be in better position to offer advice...

wehnerk wrote: Or is it possible to set the update button to use Autocad to publish DWFs?

There is no plan to alter current behaviour to Update button. Nonetheless, we'll pass along this feedback to Product Designer.

rdgs,

CH

Chear Huat
SQA Analyst
DLS- Data Management
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 3 of 7
billco-mfg
in reply to: chearhuat

I probably should have explained my reason for asking the question. I have been working on setting up a job server to process the vizualization files so that we get rid of the warnings about 'non system controlled vizualiztion' files.These warnings are a significant problem for us because Plot Manager will not properly plot AutoCAD Electical drawings without a system controlled visualization file.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/File-Name-in-Title-Block-w-Autocad-Electrical-Files/td-...

If our electricals use the job server to publish DWFs, the title block will not display the drawing number. If they don't use it, we won't be able plot a set of prints with the proper drawing number on it.

I either need a way to get a correct system controlled file or a way to get Plot Manager to plot non system controlled files.

Message 4 of 7
ihayesjr

Is there any reason why you are not using Fields in ACAD instead of using rText?

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 5 of 7
billco-mfg
in reply to: ihayesjr

It has probably been about 5 years since I set up the title block. At the time, i think I had to use rtext to drop the file extension from the drawing number. Is there a better way to get the same result?

Message 6 of 7
ihayesjr

You can type in "Field" in ACAD and you will see the attached dialog.  This may work for you.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ihayesjr

If you are using Diesel Expressions in AutoCAD, TrueView does not support this.  The funny thing here is that you paid for your Vault Professional yet it uses a FREE viewer which doesn't support something you do in AutoCAD.  Vault should use AutoCAD to create the DWF files for Vault actions like LifeCycle transitions and using Update.

I used this expression to Remove the first four characters and extension leaving just the "CAD Number".

Our File Name is this - "WKF-12345678.dwg"

CAD Number is this - "12345678"

Used this expression to achieve this - 

$(substr,$(getvar, dwgname), 5, $(-,$(strlen, $(getvar, dwgname)),9))

Any other ideas to accomplish this?  The customer is complaining about having to type in their CAD Number since it is already generated.

When they Release their drawing, it doesn't show the CAD Number correctly on the DWF since TrueView doesn't support these expressions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report