Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undo lifecycle state change?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
wseaston
2427 Views, 10 Replies

Undo lifecycle state change?

Is there any way to undo a lifecycle state change? If I accidentally change the lifecycle state of a file to released, the revision is automatically bumped up and there is no way I can revert it back to the previous revision level.

Does anyone have an answer to this issue, besides, "don't make that mistake"  Smiley LOL

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
olearya
in reply to: wseaston

Hey there,

No way to roll back revisions on files I am afraid. 

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 11
CAD-One
in reply to: olearya

I wish atleast a vault administrator should be able to "undo Change State"

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 4 of 11
spascual

Hi Sirs,

Some news about this bug?

Regards,

Message 5 of 11
dtmanni

I'd like to see this feature added for Administrors as well.
Message 6 of 11
Neil_Cross
in reply to: dtmanni

I'm a bit confused, if you Release something, that shouldn't bump the revision up... you'd be the first company I'd personally ever heard of that increase the revision level when something is released.  I assume you meant you want to roll back from Work in Progress to Released and decrease the revision from e.g. 2 to 1? 

Either way as Allan said above it's not technically achievable to do this.  And it's definitely not a 'bug' either, there's valid reasons why it can't be done.

On our system I implemented an intermediate step which stopped/pauses the lifecycle change, and prompts the user to read a warning saying "THIS OPERATION WILL INCREASE THE REVISION AND CANNOT BE UNDONE, PLEASE TICK THE BOX TO CONTINUE OR PRESS ESCAPE TO CANCEL".  If they tick the box and continue then it can't be an accident, as they were given the chance to think about what they are doing.  But that's about all you can do to minimise the situation from happening I guess.

Message 7 of 11
cbenner
in reply to: Neil_Cross

In Vault Professional 2015, you can roll back lifecycle changes on ITEMS, but not on files.  There are conditions that apply to this as well, so one should not go in blind.

Example, an engineer sent in an ECO this morning for a change to a drawing.  Without looking I changed state on the drawing Item and bumped the revision, only to find the change was already on the drawing.  Since I do my lifecycles and revisions on Items I was able to roll back the state change and revert to the previous revision... but first had to delete the offending ECO.

Message 8 of 11
The_Angry_Elf

@wseaston wrote:

Is there any way to undo a lifecycle state change? If I accidentally change the lifecycle state of a file to released, the revision is automatically bumped up and there is no way I can revert it back to the previous revision level.

Does anyone have an answer to this issue, besides, "don't make that mistake"  Smiley LOL

Thanks

You mean that since you put the file into Released state, if you move it out in a State change, it'll bump the Revision level, correct?

I also assume you were attempting to move the file form a Check or Pre-Release state back to WIP?

Do you have a State called Quick Change? It's a typical or should I say a Default State included in Vault's Flexible Release Lifecycle, or did your company create their own Lifecycle?

Typically only a user with Admin rights can move a file into Quick Change state, do you have Admin rights? I would think you do if you had the permissions to move the file into the Released state.

Either way, putting a file in QC is only for quick, little changes, thus the name. Once a file is put into Released state, it's locked down at that stage and for good reason. Granted there are ways to "trick" the system, to do what you need but I'm not about to post that here thus giving users that might abuse the knowledge. Plus doing so will also adversly affect the file's history if that is an issue....is it a newer file without much of a history or is it a legacy file?

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 9 of 11
dtmanni
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

I think you are missing the point. Take this example.

Draftsman changes the state on a file that is released, and therefor locked, Vault increases the revision by one and the file is now in an editable state.

Now assume that the requested change is no longer required, and the drawing should revert to the version and revision before the change state was initiated.

In this case there is no way to revert the file back to the previous version.

Similarly if you check out a file this creates a new version, if you no longer want to retain the changes and therefor the new version, the undo check-out can be used and the version and any record of the check-out is removed.

There are any number of reasons that a change of state may need to be “undone”, and most of these have nothing to do with bad process. I believe that it should be added as an administrator function to aid in keeping a clean database.

Message 10 of 11
tmoney2007
in reply to: dtmanni

Don't change the state on the file until you know the change is required. I would suggest changing the trigger for rolling the revision from Release->WIP to WIP->Review. This way if a user makes this mistake, an admin or supervisor can roll it back to Release. You don't want it to be so easy that they do it as their standard operating procedure.

This is a business process issue, not a software issue.

When a change is requested, part of the due diligence of approving the change should be to roughly figure out what is going to need modification (so that you can determine the impact and how long it is going to take.) Only change the state on the things that you know you need to change and try to err on the conservative side. Having thing in WIP when they aren't actually under change is bad practice because it can cause issues with the downstream consumers of that data.

If you do all the due diligence and the change is approved, and then the approval is revoked, then that is a legitimate reason to go ahead and roll the revision forward with no design change.
Message 11 of 11
bfrith
in reply to: tmoney2007

Delete. Found it

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report