Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble checking in a file

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
dpsmith85
461 Views, 5 Replies

Trouble checking in a file

I am running into a confusing problem.  I think it's partly because I don't fully understand Vault.  I'm using Vault 2010.  I will check out an assembly from the vault.  Make one small addition to the assembly and attempt to check it back in.  When I attempt to check it back in it gives me a message that says the assembly and 29 other dependent need to be saved.  I think this is odd because I didn't edit anything other than adding 1 small part to the assembly.  Once I tell it to save the assembly and all dependents it gives me a duplicate file error saying all those dependent files already exist in the vault.  This is the part I don't understand, of course they exist in the vault I just checked the assembly that contains all these parts out?  I'm really at a loss of what is going on here so any help would be appreciated.

-Thanks 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Senthil_Kumar
in reply to: dpsmith85

Hi,

Can you try the following and see if that helps you?

1. Ensure your workspace is set correctly and you are in the right project

2. Open the assembly from Vault inside Inventor

3. Check the Vault Browser and ensure you do not have * (asterisk) symbol at the end of any file and also the Vault status for all the files should be White Circle

If you see the * symbol it means the files need to be checked out, saved and checked in back

4. Now Check out the assembly, Edit, Save

5. If you are asked to save the dependent files, Check out them and Save.

6. Now try to Check-in.

Do let us know if you still the issue after the above steps.

Thanks!

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 3 of 6
r.smith1
in reply to: dpsmith85

Also, if when you opened the assembly file, you selected Yes to update properties, this could affect children of the assembly.  This will give you the * next to the file name in the Inventor Vault Browser, but will not force you to check out the file when updating properties. 

To get around this issue, we recommend not updating properties, until you are ready to check out the files whose properties are being updated and check them back in. 

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 6
scottmoyse
in reply to: r.smith1

If what you say about updating properties doesn't force you to check out the files is true, then its extremely bad behaviour from Vault! If the Vault add-in needs to change a file, then it should make you check it out. This is the first time i have heard of this behaviour, it might explain a few things. Please can you give me a workflow to try and replicate this so i can understand it some more. 

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 5 of 6
akhidrosyidi
in reply to: r.smith1

i've the same problem about asterisk,

when i try to save first before check in, inventor cannot save this file with allert " A later version of this file has been saved by "me". saving the file would overwrite changes, which is not allowed.

vault_asterisk.jpg

how solve this problem?

i try to undo check out, dellete local file and save this file.. can not resolve this.

Message 6 of 6

Can you try this?

1. Undocheck out

2. Close the file

3. Ensure you do not have any local copy

4. Open from Vault

5. Check out

Now try saving the file.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report