Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The specified path filename are too long.

36 REPLIES 36
SOLVED
Message 1 of 37
melzerky
14461 Views, 36 Replies

The specified path filename are too long.

I renamed a file in my vault and now when I try to check out the file I get a error saying my filename or path is too long (More than 260 characters.) But when I counted the number of characters in my file it was less than 150. Any ideas what is going on. Thanks in advance.

36 REPLIES 36
Message 2 of 37
mollons
in reply to: melzerky

You need to be sure to count all the characters in the path as well. If this is happening on check out you should count the characters in the path to the working folder, plus all folders up to the file and the file name itself. So if your working folder is C:\user\My Documents\Vault and the file is the in $\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3 folder in Vault you'd have to count "C:\user\My Documents\Vault\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3\filename.ipt" as the total length.

This is also important to consider when deciding where your filestore will reside as well.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 37
melzerky
in reply to: mollons

That is what I did. The file path is as follows C:\Documents and Settings\Kyle\My Documents\Vault\Designs\Products\REMAP\REMAP 1kN\3D Model\Workspaces\Workspace\Torque Cell2.ipt

Which is 129 characters. So I still do not understand where the other 131 characters are coming from.

Message 4 of 37
mollons

Turns out it might actually be your Temp location and not your working folder ...

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13288133&linkID=9261340

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 5 of 37
cmcconnell

Do you have any simulation files in a referenced assembly? I believe filenames in referenced assemblies will also show as being to long. Below is an example of the automatic simulation file naming (this is the path BELOW the assembly file):

\1001-ME-A0127\AIP\Stress Analysis\{E5169E6C-DA05-440B-8A3F-CE68F0135B2D}\Brep_0\1001-ME-A0127_INS_{28AC9A0A-14B0-45B5-A815-0B1BF97DCEBE}.fins

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 6 of 37
melzerky
in reply to: cmcconnell

Yes I do have simulation files for the part that says the file/path length is too long. If I go into the folders for the simulation files in the vault explorer it displays the same message about max file/path length before I even try to open them. I just realized that these files path length are over 260 characters. Could this be causing the part to not open. And if so can I just delete them to make my file part work again.

Message 7 of 37
karthur1
in reply to: mollons

Scott,

I noticed that the TS document mentions that this is a limit imposed by Windows.  I have been using Windows 7 with Vault 2010.  I have now upgraded to Vault 2011.  The very first time that I tried to rename with Vault, I get this error message.

I NEVER saw this message with Vault 2010.

Some of the files that are included in the assembly (but I did not rename these) are frame generator files.  These are the ones that would have the longest path names.  I count this path+filename to be 101 characters.  Not sure where the other 145 are coming from.

The "Temp" folder in Windows 7 is C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Local\Temp, which adds only 27 not counting the username.

Could there be something else causing this error message?

Message 8 of 37
Natanvay

You can try Long Path Tool. It deletes/unlocks, copies/renames path too long files/folders.

It is the best tool to end your problems in unlocking, managing and renaming files that appear to have a long filename.

Since in some instances, you may have experienced problems accessing, managing and even renaming files that have more than 255 characters, this utility has been made to answer this particular scenario. If you have also encountered problems like error messages that tell you that the path too long, too long path, destination path too long or cannot delete file then this program is definitely for you.

This will totally take place of Windows Explorer, Far Manager or other file managing utilities since this is maybe used in any type of Operating System even the earliest Windows 95 version.

You can get it from [url=http://longpathtool.com/]Long Path Tool[/url]

Message 9 of 37
GarryLowey

Long Path Tool helped me in this situation

Message 10 of 37

how exactly did you use it to bro

Tags (3)
Message 11 of 37

I am getting this same issue, i guess the best thing to do is to use a third party app like Long Path Tool. Just download it and use it to solve this issue. I hope this would help.
Message 12 of 37

Long Path Tool help me a lot when i have an issue like file deleting or renaming the file. Also good to use if file name and file extension is too long.

Message 13 of 37

Long Path Tool” is very helpful for this error 

Message 14 of 37

Also, with your simulation files, turn off the OLE links so you don't get those darn long sim file names anymore.  Very annoying they are turned on by default.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 15 of 37
masudsarkar866

"Long Path Tool" can fix this problem try it.
Message 16 of 37
jeams.doland

“Long Path Tool” is very helpful for this error !
You can use to solve this problem

Long Path Tool help me a lot when i have an issue like file deleting or renaming the file. Also good to use if file name and file extension is too long.

I used to have similar problems too, but after using "long path tool" everything was solved. Try this software and you would be glad you did.
Message 17 of 37
miahalum25
in reply to: karthur1

You can use to solve this problem

Message 18 of 37
fransdaniel

Long too path error!
"Long path tool" is very helpful for this problem. You can solve this problem like copy, delete, long path files by using this tool.
I used to have similar problems too, but after using "long path tool" everything was solved.

Message 19 of 37
miahalum25

You can use to solve this problem.

Message 20 of 37
workingfaster440

Long path tool is the very good program for error, unlock solution. Try it and solve your problem. I used long path tool and I solve my error, unlock problem solution.
Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report