Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Root Element Is Missing

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
joeyb
2664 Views, 12 Replies

The Root Element Is Missing

Hello,

When I try to log into The Vault, I get an error message that says "The Root Element Is Missing" and I am then put back to the logon screen. The only way I have found to get it to work is to delete and recreate my user profile.

The problem is it has just happened again, any idea what it is? and how to fix it?

Cheers
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: joeyb

It sounds like there's some sort of corruption in one of your local
settings files that the client maintains.

If this happens again, can you zip up the contents of your
%APPDATA%\Autodesk directory and send it to me? Perhaps with that we can
figure out what's going on.

You should be able to fix this by removing the contents of that
directory, rather than blast your entire user profile.

Jeff
jeffDOTpekATautodeskDOTcom

joeyb wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I try to log into The Vault, I get an error message that says "The Root Element Is Missing" and I am then put back to the logon screen. The only way I have found to get it to work is to delete and recreate my user profile.
>
> The problem is it has just happened again, any idea what it is? and how to fix it?
>
> Cheers
Message 3 of 13
joeyb

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried deleting the 2 folders in the %APPDATA%\Autodesk folder then rerunning the program. The files are recreated but I get the same error message.

I will email the contents of that folder to you.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

I got the files. I don't see any problem there. There must be something
else that's causing the error.

Can you take a snapshot of the error (along with what you're seeing in
Vault Explorer at the time), so I can see it in context?

Also, it would be good to see the contents of the server-side "vlog"
file that's in:
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application
Data\autodesk\vaultserver\filestore\vlog-YYYYMMDD.txt.

I don't *think* that that's where the problem lies, since you can access
from other clients, but it's just more data...

Thanks,
Jeff

joeyb wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I have tried deleting the 2 folders in the %APPDATA%\Autodesk folder then rerunning the program. The files are recreated but I get the same error message.
>
> I will email the contents of that folder to you.
Message 5 of 13
joeyb

Thanks Jeff

The files are on their way.
Message 6 of 13
CAD-One

Is this issue solved? I have a user with this very same problem

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 7 of 13
jweiss1313
in reply to: CAD-One

I have a user having this same problem and he's running Inventor 2018.2.3 and Vault Professional 2018.2.

Would appreciate help solving this.

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
Message 8 of 13
ihayesjr
in reply to: jweiss1313

John,

For Vault delete the files in this location. C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Autodesk Vault Professional 2018

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 9 of 13
jweiss1313
in reply to: ihayesjr

Thank you for your help Irvin.  We deleted the files and the problem would return.  The user had multiple files open in Excel when all the sudden it would freeze both Excel and his computer.  He was forced to do a restart and he would only get the error after restarting when Excel would freeze.  He would hit OK when he got the error and them Vault would open and work just fine.

We have had issues for many years with the Vault Excel add-in freezing Excel.  We've experienced this issue for so long that our IT department has published instruction on how to disable it on our company intranet homepage.  They were the ones who did the troubleshooting and discovered that the add-in was causing problems.

There have been Windows and Office 365 updates recently and I have had to disable the Vault Excel add-in for five people in one week.  The user in question had multiple freezes in a couple of days so I disabled his Vault Excel add-in and he has not had an issue since.

We've had this issue occur intermittently for a couple of years now and it affects some people and not others.  I just wanted to make you aware that there is a potential issue with the Excel add-in that may have contributed to getting this error in our circumstance.

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
Message 10 of 13
JasonMayes

Does this issue have a "solution". I just had this happen to a user this morning. We are using Vault Pro 2018.3.1

Jason Mayes

Deister Machine Co.

jasonm@deistermachine.com

Message 11 of 13
jweiss1313

Hello Irvin,

I have a Vault Pro 2019.1.1 user who continues to get the "root element is missing" error when she tries to open Vault.  It does not happen all the time.  I tried to delete local vault folder as you suggested below and the error eventually returns.  I even performed a clean uninstall and install and she just got the error again this morning.  She is able to login after hitting the OK button on the error message.  She is running Windows 10 on her workstation.

Anything else I can try to permanently fix the problem?  I appreciate any help you can provide.

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
Message 12 of 13
jweiss1313

Here is a valuable observation.  When the user hit the OK button and Vault logged in, its logged in with the splash screen shown and all her screen customizations get wiped out and she has to customize her columns and UI again.

Essentially its recreating the XML file that defines the UI and that must be what is getting corrupt.

We need to know why it gets corrupt to we can fix permanently.

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
Message 13 of 13
ihayesjr

Connect with product support to troubleshoot the error. I don't have any other ideas for this one.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report