Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronize Properties not working since 2014 ADMS update

34 REPLIES 34
SOLVED
Message 1 of 35
scottmoyse
2718 Views, 34 Replies

Synchronize Properties not working since 2014 ADMS update

I was hoping to find others with this issue on the forums. However, searching hasn't returned any results.

I've had Revision mapping setup between Inventor and Vault since we first implemented Vault. It's been working fine until I upgraded to Vault 2014 ADMS a few weeks ago. I've deleted & recreated the mapping between Rev Number (UDP) and the Revision (System prop) and Inventor Vault as per the standard way of doing so. I did this in the hope it would start working again.

Each time I run the Synchronize properties command from within Vault explorer (2013 or 2014) the result tells me no changes are necessary even though inspecting the properties grid clearly shows the properties aren't in sync.

checking the file out from within Inventor confirms the properties aren't in sync and prompts the user asking if they want to update the properties. Selecting yes, does in fact sync them as you would expect. The saem is true if you manually update the properties from within the Inventor Add-in.

As an extra twist when the job processor runs the Synchronize properties commands via a state change transition action, it does so as you would expect.

For these reasons I'm confident that my mapping is in fact correct & that this is a bug caused by the 2014 ADMS.. Not a good sign really. To confirm the behaviour is the same whether I use the 2013 or the 2014 Vault Client.

Has anyone else sucessfully updated to 2014 and their Revision Mapping is working as it was previously in 2013?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

34 REPLIES 34
Message 21 of 35
scottmoyse
in reply to: mbodnar

Max,

Cheers for reporting back. It's much appreciated. I've moved on since then by making sure the Rev Number isn't null. But I will implement this to catch any legacy issues. 

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 22 of 35
Daniel248
in reply to: scottmoyse

Any news on this topic?

After checking-in files from Inventor with the Revision Number iProperty set, they apear with a blank 'Rev Number' in Vault.

(Vault Pro 2014 Update 2)

Message 23 of 35
mbodnar
in reply to: Daniel248

I have been setting this option of Create to YES ever since this issue (see attached)

Seems to help

Max Bodnar

Redstack

Message 24 of 35
B.Rawling

Gents

Has this problem been addressed by Autodesk?

We now have the same issue my revision iproperty is not updated during the sync properties on a state change.

This is happening on some but not all of our drawings , note the revision was not a null field to begin with as these drawings are moving through additional lifecycles for revisions.

Mod box is updated on releasing the drawing revision and Approver name / date is updated properly. the revision iproperty is not updated.

the only way I can force this to update is to use a Quickfix state to allow the drawing to be edited , open it in Inventor and use the Update properties button on the Vault Ribbon. checking the file back in and then releasing the file again in Vault. This is a ridiculous situation , something is broken. It used to work.

Used to work fine until last few days we upgraded the Vault Server to 2016 SP1 over a month ago.

Client Machines are still 2014 for a while until we can role out the upgrade across our sites.

Jobserver has both 2014 SP2 UPDATE6 and 2016 SP2 versions of Inventor. I understand 2014 version is used by Jobserver as when I launch the 2016 version it pops up the dialog to reregister the program with OS.

Any help with this would be very much appretiated

Message 25 of 35
mbodnar
in reply to: B.Rawling

Hi Bryan

Some things to check

1. Option of Create set to Yes/No in the property mapping

2. JP should run either 2014 or 2016. The re-register message indicates it's trying to run one version since a different version was activated. Since all clients are still on 2014, I would register and run 2014 ONLY on the JP machine

3. Does a Vault Synchronize properties command work

4. Check revision table properties against the property defined in the Inventor revision table - styles editor

5. Consider some of the options available in JP Configuration - JobProcessor.exe.config located here C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Vault Professional 2017\Explorer

0 Update Vault Revision Table if Inventor's version corresponds to the file's last saved version
1 Update Vault Revision Table and migrate file
Default is 0
-->
<add key="UpdateRevBlockMigrateLatestINV" value="0" /> 

Hope this helps

Max Bodnar

Redstack

Message 26 of 35
B.Rawling

Some things to check

1. Option of Create set to Yes/No in the property mapping

Yes Create is set to YES  for property mapping

1. JP should run either 2014 or 2016. The re-register message indicates it's trying to run one version since a different version was activated. Since all clients are still on 2014, I would register and run 2014 ONLY on the JP machine

Yes the 2014 Inventor is the software registered on the JP machine.

1. Does a Vault Synchronize properties command work

No

The only way to resolve these issues is to use a Quick fix State to allow edit of the drawing without a revision bump within Inventor.

The drawing has to be opened once more in Inventor and the Update Properties invoked on the drawing to get the revision iproperty aligned with the VAULT revision.

The drawing can then be saved , checked in and released again.

1. Check revision table properties against the property defined in the Inventor revision table - styles editor

Revision table is not the issue this is updated correctly.

It is Vault Job server synchronise properties activities that fail to provide the update to the revision iproperty for it to be written into the title block? Synchronise properties fail but the subsequent update Revision table operation after this is successful every time.

1. Consider some of the options available in JP Configuration - JobProcessor.exe.config located here C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Vault Professional 2017\Explorer

I do not believe changing these settings will help?

0 Update Vault Revision Table if Inventor's version corresponds to the file's last saved version 1 Update Vault Revision Table and migrate file Default is 0 --> <add key="UpdateRevBlockMigrateLatestINV" value="0" /> 

Hope this helps

I have raised a call with Autodesk they are suggesting it is due to the drawing status i.e. it is not up to date /  a dirty file.

I have explained to them that the inventor part fle was checked in and locked weeks before the drawing was completed , there is no reason for the drawing to be dirty, i.e. need an update as the part file referenced has not changed. History records in the vault allow us to confirm this.

I'm Waiting for further response from our friends at Autodesk.

Regards Bry

Message 27 of 35
mbodnar

Hi Bryan

So the revision mapping is the only one not working, correct?

Can you confirm if it is

a. the revision table

b. the drawing title block

c. both

d. when is the revision bump configured in Vault, when WIP to Released or when Released to WIP

Also if it is the revision table can you attach some screenshots of

1. the revision table mapping in Vault

2. the Inventor Style Library for revision table

Cheers

Max Bodnar

Message 28 of 35
B.Rawling

The revision table is updated perfectly with the information from the Issued file in Vault.

The Approver , Approval date and the Revision in the Revision table matches the Vault metadata perfectly.

The drawing title block does not show the correct revision as the sync properties has not updated the revision iproperty.

Revision bump is configured on final release of drawing.

Bry

Message 29 of 35
mbodnar

Would you be able to share the part/drawing in question?

You can remove any info that you don't want to share if easier

Max Bodnar

Message 30 of 35
B.Rawling

Sorry
I cannot provide the files as these are owned by our client, the files have been updated using the workaround I described and therefore now display the correct revision.
I have a call logged with Autodesk , they will hopefully be able to provide an insight into this problem.
Although I'm not holding my breath....
Thanks for your effort

Regards Bry

The information contained in this email (and any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is legally privileged and confidential. If you have received this communication in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the email. This email message and any attached files have been scanned for the presence of computer viruses but you are advised that you open any attachments at your own risk. Nuvia Limited: Registered Office: 3rd Floor, Chadwick House, Birchwood Park, Risley, Warrington, Cheshire, WA3 6AE Registered in England: Registration No 2063786
Message 31 of 35
mbodnar

I understand good luck

Two more questions if you don't mind

1. Are you using Files, Items or both

2. Apart from the system property Revision which is mapped to Rev Number, do you have a UDP mapped to Rev Number as well

Max Bodnar

Message 32 of 35
B.Rawling

Max
At present only managing our Files in the Vault Pro.
We do not have any UDP's mapped to the inventor iproperty "Rev Number" only the Vault System property "Revision".

Regards Bry

Message 33 of 35
mbodnar

The revision on the title block, is it coming from the drawing property or model property?

Max

Message 34 of 35
B.Rawling

Max
Revision in the titleblock is coming from the Drawing iproperty "Rev Number"

Cheers Bry

Message 35 of 35
B.Rawling

Hi 

Some time since this discussion.

With Vault 2016 & service patches the issue seemed to go away however we have now upgraded our vault system to Vault Pro 2018.3 and the problem seems to be back. thought it was sporadic however seems to be all Inventor Drawings. to confirm also 2018.3 Inventor version.

It seems all of our released drawings have the incorrect revision , I have to open them in Inventor with elevated vault permissions & check the file out to force an update on the Revision property. the Job server is unable to update this iproperty in the file, doesn't see the need?

Can anybody help please...... 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report