Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronize Properties not working since 2014 ADMS update

34 REPLIES 34
SOLVED
Message 1 of 35
scottmoyse
2724 Views, 34 Replies

Synchronize Properties not working since 2014 ADMS update

I was hoping to find others with this issue on the forums. However, searching hasn't returned any results.

I've had Revision mapping setup between Inventor and Vault since we first implemented Vault. It's been working fine until I upgraded to Vault 2014 ADMS a few weeks ago. I've deleted & recreated the mapping between Rev Number (UDP) and the Revision (System prop) and Inventor Vault as per the standard way of doing so. I did this in the hope it would start working again.

Each time I run the Synchronize properties command from within Vault explorer (2013 or 2014) the result tells me no changes are necessary even though inspecting the properties grid clearly shows the properties aren't in sync.

checking the file out from within Inventor confirms the properties aren't in sync and prompts the user asking if they want to update the properties. Selecting yes, does in fact sync them as you would expect. The saem is true if you manually update the properties from within the Inventor Add-in.

As an extra twist when the job processor runs the Synchronize properties commands via a state change transition action, it does so as you would expect.

For these reasons I'm confident that my mapping is in fact correct & that this is a bug caused by the 2014 ADMS.. Not a good sign really. To confirm the behaviour is the same whether I use the 2013 or the 2014 Vault Client.

Has anyone else sucessfully updated to 2014 and their Revision Mapping is working as it was previously in 2013?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35
mbodnar
in reply to: scottmoyse

Same here

Created new Vault in 2014 and had to re-create the mappings between UDP Model Rev No and File property Rev Number which I have had to do for the last 2 Vault releases to get it working.

Then I also created mapping between system property REVISION and File property Rev Number

Vault DOES NOT show non compliance even though Vault Revision equals one value and file property Rev Number is blank.

Also the sync properties does not appear to work. I have to open models in Inventor and use update properties before it syncs properly.

I thought it was broken before as I have had remove all mappings and re-add to get it working, but now it's broken completely. I checked in Vault 2013 and same mappings and works OK, so issue must be with Vault 2014

Regards

Max Bodnar

Message 3 of 35
mbodnar

Correction, Vault Pro was first created in 2013, mappings created and tested in 2013, then migrated to Vault Pro 2014
Message 4 of 35
mbodnar

I tested change state sync properties done by the JP and this process does not update the file property Rev Number to equal to system property Revision as mapped

For my Vault, it appears that ONLY opening files in Vault and using Update properties syncs the info correctly. This is not an ideal workflow

Max Bodnar

Message 5 of 35
mbodnar

Once the Update Properties is done inside of Inventor, subsequent change states seems to pick up a non compliance between the two rev fields and the Vault sync works

I can see this being a problem for legacy data loaded into Vault where previously one would use the sync properties to bring data in line with the Vault Revision.

One would have to open models in Inventor and sync thru there. Vault sync is un-usable for legacy data as it is now.

Max Bodnar
Message 6 of 35
scottmoyse
in reply to: mbodnar

I hoped that would be the case for me. But it seems it makes no difference. 

• Manual Property Sync doesn't work at all
  • Job Processor Property Sync does (with each state change)
  • Inventor Update Properties does.

cheers for sharing. 

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 7 of 35
mbodnar

Not sure if this is related, but it appears that when file property is blank, the Vault sync does not work. Once a value is added it starts working

Also I deleted all Rev Number default mapping and added two new ones, one for Inventor and Inventor dwg as I have found so far that the default mappings do not work

Hope this helps
Cheers

Max
Message 8 of 35
scottmoyse

The behaviour might be different between these two options:

Inventor 2013 & Vault Client 2013 with the 2014 ADSM

vs

All 2014.

I'm currently only trying to get it to work with the first option.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 9 of 35
scottmoyse

@mbodnar wrote:
Not sure if this is related, but it appears that when file property is blank, the Vault sync does not work. Once a value is added it starts working

I can confirm this behaviour with Inventor 2013 & Vault 2013 with 2014 ADMS. This wasn't an issue with the 2013 ADMS:

not working.png

working.png

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 10 of 35
mbodnar

I tested your scenario, 2013 Inventor and Vault connecting to same 2014db.

Vault Sync appears to work but only after adding a value inside the file property Rev Number

Max
Message 11 of 35
mbodnar

I also noticed that even though the Vault sync is resolving other properties, it's skipping the Rev Number number. In my case with both 2013 and 2014, once I add a value, it starts working

Max
Message 12 of 35
scottmoyse

Yeah I'd say its specific to the Revision system property being pushed to a null value.

Have you confirmed that if you go from WIP to released, when the WIP rev number is null & the Vault Revision gets bumped up that the job processer sync also fails? This would all make sense if thats the case.

I have a compliance test to make sure the Rev Number property is propagated prior to allowing the transition to take place. Hence why I have been saying the JP sync has been working.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 13 of 35
scottmoyse

@mbodnar wrote:

Also I deleted all Rev Number default mapping and added two new ones, one for Inventor and Inventor dwg as I have found so far that the default mappings do not work

Hope this helps
Cheers

Max

I accepted this as the solution, but it is only a workaround, this is a verified bug. Just waiting for Autodesk to pick it up and escalate it now.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 14 of 35
mbodnar

Yes the JP fails to sync if the value of the file property is null

Max
Message 15 of 35
scottmoyse

Cheers for your help today Max.

Regards

Scott Moyse
Design Manager

#####################################################################################
This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content and cleared
by MailMarshal
#####################################################################################

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 16 of 35
mbodnar

No problem, I am glad that someone else experienced the same, I thought I was seeing things

Cheers
Max
Message 17 of 35
scottmoyse

Max I've just found this issue as well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29242712/capture-5.mp4

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 18 of 35
mbodnar

Hi Scott

yes I did notice this yesterday, I was going to use this method to sync could not

So we are stuck using the manual method of opening model in Inventor and update properties

Not very suitable when trying to sync large legacy datasets

Autodesk, any comments?

Max Bodnar

Message 19 of 35
mbodnar

I have suspected that there was an issue with the Rev Number mapping since Vault 2012 and this confirms my original thoughts.

Max
Message 20 of 35
mbodnar

Hi Scott

I came across this the other day. When setting the Create option to YES, it can push the value from Vault into the iproperty especially when value is null. This never used to be the case but it seems to be in 2014

The mapping between the two "Vault Revision" and "Model Rev Number" does not consistently work well out of the box. Autodesk support are aware of this

Max

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report