Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronize Properties Upon Check-in

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
jeff_jordan
4102 Views, 10 Replies

Synchronize Properties Upon Check-in

Is there a way to automatically synchronize properties with Vault upon file check-in?  I have a Vault system property ("Revision") that I'm pushing to an Inventor iProperty ("Rev Number") so that I can reference the Vault system property in the title block.

Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2015 (Inventor 2015 Pro SP1, Vault 2015 Pro Update 1)
MacbookPro OSx 10.9, Boot Camp
Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mikel_martin
in reply to: jeff_jordan

You just need to map the Vault property to the Inventor iProperty.

Here is a link to the online help.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/2012/Help/02._Working_with_Vault/01._Vault_Client/1175VaultSe...

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 11
jeff_jordan
in reply to: mikel_martin

Sorry, I should have been more clear...

The Vault Property is mapped to the Inventor iProperty already. The problem is that the information is pushed from Vault to the Inventor file (the only option for mapping system properties). I would expect the map to occur when the Inventor file is added to Vault, but this isn't the case. The only two things (so far) which trigger the mapping are Vault>Actions>Synchronize Properties and upon check-out.

Therefore a new part can't be added to Vault and immediately released without synchronizing the properties first. Just an extra step to an otherwise tedious process.

By the way, I didn't mean to accept this as a solution. I was clicking too fast.

Thanks again for your attention and help Mikel!

Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2015 (Inventor 2015 Pro SP1, Vault 2015 Pro Update 1)
Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 4 of 11

To avoid that new files checked into the vault are non-compliant, edit the iProperties in the template files so that they reflect the default settings in Vault. If the initital revision letter in the revision scheme in Vault is "A", set the Revision-iProperty to "A" in the templates. Then the files created with these templates are compliant on check in.

But I agree, there should be an option to automatically synchronize properties during check in, not only on state transitions.

Message 5 of 11

Good call Hans!  Sometimes I get tunnel vision.  I'm going to try this now, and I'm sure it will work.  Thank you!

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 6 of 11
jeff_jordan

Well, it took care of the initial syncing problem, but now Vault no longer updates the property.  I'm getting really tired of the convolution.  All I want to do is reference the Vault Revision in the drawing (outside of the Vault Revision Table).

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 7 of 11
jeff_jordan

See the attached pictures.  The first one shows the mapping of the system property to the part and drawing property.  The second picture shows Vault thinking the properties are synced when obviously they are not.

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 8 of 11
jeff_jordan

Okay, I found the problem.  Since the mapping from the Vault Revision property writes TO the Inventor Rev Number property, the Rev Number UDP must be mapped from the Inventor file back to Vault.  I had the Rev Number UDP synchronizing. This doesn't work.

Matching the initial values keeps you from having to sync the properties upon initial check into vault.

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 9 of 11
dave_deane

Jeff,

Can you show a screen shot of the correct mapping between the system and UDP properties?

Thanks,

Dave

Message 10 of 11
jeff_jordan
in reply to: dave_deane

Dave,

Hope these screenshots help...

-Jeff

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 11 of 11
jeff_jordan

I added (I) and (V) in front of the properties to easily distinguish between the two when you can't tell whether it's a UDP or system property.  This helps out a lot!

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report