Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange error message when changing state

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
445 Views, 7 Replies

Strange error message when changing state

Hey,

Has anyone ever gotten the error message that I have attached below?

A user is wanting to make changes to a drawing that has already been set to released.  So they open the drawing from Vault through the Inventor Add-In.  They then will try and perform a "Change State" on it to set it from Released to WIP or Quick Change.  Inventor will then throw up the below error message and they are not able to change state.

Its a very confusing message though, as the file is set to released it cannot be saved, and cannot be checked in/out.  Basically the error message is telling you to do two things that are impossiible to do to the file.  

What I have been recommending is if this happens, then to just locate the file in the Vault Client and do a change state there, and then open it in Inventor and do a Check out.  

This (and other issues) have been causing some frustration and confusion with some people, with Vault there is to much "In this situation use the client, but in that situation use Inventor".  It gets confusing when the two products do not behave the same way.   

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Senthil_Kumar
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you for posting this issue.

We are aware of this issue and working on a solution in the upcoming releases.

Thanks again and sorry for inconvenience this caused.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

Strange, the error message didn't seem to attach in my post.  You seem to know the error message I'm referring to where when you change state on a released model it will say "This file must first be saved and checked in".   

Is it just me, or does Inventor let you make alot of changes to models that are not checked out or set to released, and will allow you to save them, causing alot of confusing error messages to the user down the road?  It just seems odd to me that when the point of Vault is to not let users make changes to models that aren't Checked Out, it sure lets you change alot of things to Checked In/Released files and save them.  

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 8

Upcoming releases??? Do you mean like 3 to 5 years or maybe 7 years.

Its a small problem, we cant save, so what??? 

We at AD dont care if you can't save, we put the money in the Cloud and in the material editor

and new unfinished features that look very nice . We have PLM now...

We dont care that you can't save, break your head do a Save As instead. 

I am very angry about this alone. it iritates beyond imagination.

Regards,

Dan 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

I was hoping for an answer to Dan.M's question.  Do you have a timeframe for this fix?  Will be it available in a future update for 2013, or in 2014, or are we going to be waiting for a few years?

It is very frustrating as a relatively simple workflow of:

-Open Part In Inventor

-Change State to WIP

-Check Out Part

-Make Edits

Has now become:

-Find part you want to edit in model in Inventor

-Take Part Number to Vault Client and find part

-Change state in Vault Client to WIP

-Close part you want to edit

-Either open it again (in the case of a subassembly you want to edit in the assembly) and do a "Get Revision" or otherwise get part from Vault

-Check part out

It makes my life really hard of getting people to get behind and like using Vault, when we need to take these convoluted steps just to get around a bug in the software.

Its like when you open a Library part, and without making any changes, you try to check it into Vault, and it gives you an error message that it can't check in without saving first.  Does no one else see the problem that Inventor is forcing you to save an unchanged Library part before being able to check it in?

Message 6 of 8
Senthil_Kumar

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback and I completely agree to your points. I have escalated this issue and we are working on a fix. But I am sorry that I cannot commit any time frame for the fix. I encourage you to sign up into the upcoming Beta releases and provide your feedback via its feedback forum as well.

We are also aware of the other issue you are mentioning and again we are working on a fix.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks, its good to know you are aware of these issues.  I would be interested in the Beta releases.  Of course I would only be able to roll it out on my machine, I wouldn't put it on anyone elses computer here.  If you can provide more info, a link or anything, to this Beta release, I'll take a look.  THanks,

Message 8 of 8
Senthil_Kumar

Please keep a watch on the forum for the Beta release. We do not have a firm date yet. I will also let you know once it is out and how to sign up.

Thanks again!

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report