Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Body Part File

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
PACDrafting
215 Views, 3 Replies

Solid Body Part File

We model using the solid body part file technique.

That is, we have a part file with seperate solids. Then we use the make components command to create assemblies and parts as required.

If we modify a parameter on one of the solids within the solid body part file, then open our main assembly file. Vault is requiring all files to be checked out. Why is this so????

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
PACDrafting
in reply to: PACDrafting

OK found the issue. And an issue it is!

This is difficult to explain in text.

If you have a large solid body part file that has for example:

1. Solid number 500 linked to solid number 450 by projected geometry.

2. Solid number 450 is evidently linked to 50 other solids via projected geometry.

If you modify solid 500 all solids in question require checkout in the assemblies.

This is a major issue and I think Autodesk need to address this by informing there clients.

We have decided to structure our solid body files into weldments, this will decrease the solid body size. The problem is, we were unaware of this and have lost a significant amount of time on the project.

Regards

Paul.

Message 3 of 4
PACDrafting

An addition to last post.

Within the solid body part file:

First test

1. I grouped four extrusions, a shared sketch and 2 mirrors and moved them as high as possible on the tree.

2. Modified a parameter in the sketch.

3. Opened the assembly and all parts required checkout?????

Second test

1. I grouped four extrusions, a shared sketch and 2 mirrors and moved them as high as possible on the tree.

2. Modified a parameter in the sketch.

3. Only the parts that were directly associated with the parameter change required checkout????

Figure this out Autodesk??????????????

Message 4 of 4
PACDrafting

Sorry should have been:

Second test

1. I grouped four extrusions, a shared sketch and 2 mirrors and moved them as Low as possible on the tree.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report