Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Project File Vs Multiple Project files

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
scottmoyse
1695 Views, 6 Replies

Single Project File Vs Multiple Project files

Here's my view, personally I don't think there's any reason why you shouldn't use multiple projects as long as you follow a few rules when creating them:

http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/autodesk-vault-single-multiple-project-files/

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sathersc23
in reply to: scottmoyse

I agree it can be done, but you better not be turning your staff over very fast because the learning curve on Vault is steep enough as it is with a single project.

Sam Sather
CAD Admin
Inventor 2014
Vault Pro 2014 SR: 1 SP: 1
Intel Xeon X5690 @ 3.47 GHz
48.0 GB Ram
Windows 7 x64
AMD FirePro V7900 - 8.830.5.6000

----------------------------

"We have not succeeded in answering all our problems. The answers we have found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions. In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things." - Earl C. Kelley
Message 3 of 7
scottmoyse
in reply to: sathersc23

well that depends on if your staff were using multiple projects with Inventor before Vault was implemented. 

But I do agree that learning curve for Vault is steep, steeper than Autodesk/resellers may lead you to believe. But to be honest if the staff are willing it makes it so much easier however, that doesn't help them learn about some of the odd workflows and behaviours.

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 4 of 7
DuncanAnderson

A question on this topic.

I've used Inv since 2002 - R5.3 - and much prefer the used of one Project file per project.

It makes finding the relative files a lot quicker as you don't need to 'drill down' through layers of sub-directories using Win Explorer.

If the Library Folders are used correctly and mapped in the Project File is is easy to find commonly used files and as they are in a Library it prevents them being editted in error.

I've recently started using Vault and found hte Autoloader automatically creates a Single Project file called Design.IPJ

Vault will operate with Multiple project files, what is the best way to convert from a Single to Multiple?

So far, I've converted the Project file to a Vault type and added it to the Vault location using Vault Explorer.

Do I need to do anything else?

Secondly, the Vault Autoloader has create a folder, with sub folders, called C:/Temp.

Why? Can I delete it?

TIA

Duncan Anderson

"Humour is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for ordinary living." {Terence 'Spike' Milligan KBE (16 Apr 1918 – 27 Feb 2002)}
Message 5 of 7
scottmoyse
in reply to: DuncanAnderson

I replied in the comments on my post linked in the OP. For the benefit of forum users here. Since the release of Inventor 2014, I don't think Multiple project files are worth the effort anymore. Mainly because you can use the Favourites feature in the Materials & Appearance libraries... then manage Drawing templates for different clients with a superseded folder or don't download old unused templates from Vault.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
Deza_Inv

Hi Scott

I'm interested to know why the change of heart regarding multiple projects. I read your comments in the OP link, which you ended with "I really need to share my tips on why in a series of posts. I will try to pump some out over the next week.". Have you posted some more recent tips somewhere?

At work we have approved product and R&D files. I split these into two projects, with the approved product files as a library for the R&D ipj. This helped to prevent accidental changes to approved files, and to avoid appoved assemblies from resolving links to R&D parts - my work colleagues love to copy approved files into R&D folders without renaming!

I am in the process of implementing Vault Basic, and would like to keep my two projects for the first reason. I have forced unique filenames, so the second problem should be sorted. Unfortunately Vault Basic doesn't allow retricting access to folders for certain users (which still surprises me).

However, everywhere I look, I see people recommending a single project setup, and I'm not convinced. The only solution I've seen to the lack of security options, is to book out files to an inactive user. But that doesn't help if certain users need to regularly edit those files.

Message 7 of 7
scottmoyse
in reply to: Deza_Inv

@Deza_Inv wrote:

Hi Scott

I'm interested to know why the change of heart regarding multiple projects. I read your comments in the OP link, which you ended with "I really need to share my tips on why in a series of posts. I will try to pump some out over the next week.". Have you posted some more recent tips somewhere?

No... I've failed in that regard, several things got in the way, and then I fell out of the habit of blogging. I need to get back into it. One a month I would be happy with. I should make this one of the first. Who knows when at the moment though... new baby needs to grow up a bit to free up some time I suppose.

@Deza_Inv wrote:

I am in the process of implementing Vault Basic, and would like to keep my two projects for the first reason. I have forced unique filenames, so the second problem should be sorted. Unfortunately Vault Basic doesn't allow retricting access to folders for certain users (which still surprises me).

They can't give it all away for free.... 🙂 

Deza_Inv wrote:

The only solution I've seen to the lack of security options, is to book out files to an inactive user. But that doesn't help if certain users need to regularly edit those files.

That is the solution yes (it's really not a big deal to fire up another instance of Vault on the server and check in the files you want to modify... especially considering its a free solution), or buy Vault Workgroup.

Basically, multiple projects are a pain to manage full stop, and are even more of a pain with Vault. Most of the reasons we used to use multiple projects dissipated. The only remaining one was requiring a unique drawing template for each contract we got, and all the overhead of project files and associated admin just wasn't worth it anymore.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report