Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search Options and setup

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Raider_71
370 Views, 2 Replies

Search Options and setup

Hi all,

I would like to know something about setting up searching so that I can search for certain items on and in my drawings and parts. We have installed a brand new Vault Collaboration server today and I have set everything thing up nicely from an IT perspective. I have also switched on Content Indexing.

I would like to know the following:

• Can I search text that’s been inserted on a drawing (idw) as a note or text in the title block or in a table for instance. Is this what content indexing does?
  • Can I search custom properties and how do I set it up so that I can select it in the advanced search criteria setup
  • Can I search for variables that’s been used? Like the diameter of a shaft or the length and width of a piece of plate.

Is there anything else I need to configure for searching to be done more effectively?

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Pieter

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
tannro
in reply to: Raider_71

Pieter,

1. Search capabilities for properties, both user defined and system, is very powerful in Vault.  If the file property that you want to search is not mapped to a User Defined Property in Vault create one, map your file property to it, then associate your new UDP to the categories upon which you want to use it. If you have files in Vault prior to the creation of your custom UDP those files will need to be checked out/in to complete the association of the new UDP, then search will work fine.

2. Searching for diameter values or shaft lengths is an easy thing to do once the properties are represented in vault.  This process is described in #1.

3. Full content search works well for dwg's.  I don't believe idw is supported.

The Vault 2011 Help topic titled Understanding Search is very helpful in understanding how the search system utilizes tokens for fast searching. 

Ross Tanner
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 3 of 3
spascual
in reply to: Raider_71

Hi Sirs,

Something new about IDW content search indexing?

I think that on date 27/04/2011 has passed enough time to make this function running.

Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report