Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revision bump push to drawing 2013

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
cbenner
720 Views, 10 Replies

Revision bump push to drawing 2013

I'm sorry,... I'm just not seeing an explanation of this that works.  In Vault Pro 2013, I want to be able to use an ECO, or a like cycle state change from Released to WIP to change the revision of an Item.  I have this part working, that much was easy.

What I cannot figure out, is how to push this value down to the file level so that when I open the drawing to make changes, the bumped revision is automatically updated on the drawing or part or assembly file (Inventor or Autocad).  Wikihelp is way too simplistic,... or I am.  Can anyone give me a step by step of exactly what to map and where, to pull this off?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
KooCheeKit
in reply to: cbenner

Hi ChrisB,

1) Map the system property 'Revision' to the file property would like to write back into the file properties. Note: Select 'Item' for Entity, the rest should be standard way of mapping property. When 'Create' is set to value 'Yes', it will create the file property name if it is not found in the file properties.

SysItemRevToFileProps.JPG

2) Open the file associated with the WIP item in Inventor or AutoCAD, Check Out the file, click yes if it prompt update properties, if not, click on the Update Properties command. At this point, the item revision should have written back to the file properties (i.e. Rev Number).

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Chee-Kit
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 11
cbenner
in reply to: KooCheeKit

This is what I was looking for, and this was how I had it mapped.  It was not working, however.  Some digging showed that there were a couple of UDP's that were also mapping to revision (not sure what the intent was there), and they were preventing this from working.  Removing the mappings from those UDP's cleared the problem.

Thank you for verifying the workflow for me!

Message 4 of 11
cbenner

Another question though....

Now that this is working and the Revision shows up on the drawing file... why does the File Store not show this revision.  Once it is saved in the file, should that not push back up to the File Store next time the file is checked in?  Mapping Revision only goes one way.  And since it is not updating in the "File"... it also is not showing up on the new "Vault Revision table".

Revision table picks up "File" mappings... so now I need to know how to push a property value from Item to File... . Is your head swimming too:?

Message 5 of 11
KooCheeKit

Are you refering the revision shown up correctly at the titleblock (idw), but not at the iProperties Revision Number (idw)? Could you check the ipt iProperties Revision Number does shown up correctly?

For the second question, could you create another thread? Hence the issue could be tracked.

Chee-Kit
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 11
cbenner

What I am saying is that the ITEM property "Revision", was successfully sent to the idw, and yes, it shows up as such in the iproperties.  However, when I look at this ITEM in the FILE STORE, the revision is not updated there, even after saving the idw and checking back in to Vault.  So now I have an ITEM at Rev 1, and the FILE STORE entry is at Rev -.

I'm not sure what you mean by a second question, I meant for this all to be related.  I need the Rev to be the same in both places, so I can use the Vault Revision Table... which seems to grab the Revision property from the FILE STORE side, not ITEM.  These need to be the same, automatically.

Message 7 of 11
KooCheeKit

Unfortunately, the file lifecycle and item lifecycle are not integrated. That is why the file and item revision are not in sync.

Chee-Kit
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 11
cbenner

Well, thanks for that.  However, that renders this product nearly useless.  it sertainly renders the Revision Tables useless for anyone working with Items.  I can't think of any reason you would NOT want them integrated.

Workarounds.... here we come.

Message 9 of 11
KooCheeKit

We are aware of the lifecycle not integrated issue for customers that wanted to manage both file and item.

For the revision table, i will report back to...

Thanks for your feedback!

Chee-Kit
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 11
mbodnar

Hi Chris

Just wondering if you succesfully managed to get this working with not too many workarounds.

I am using a combination of file lifecycles and mappings at concept phases and then switching to ITEMS for productions phases. Also when switching from file lifecycles to ITEMS, I drop the STATES and REVISION scheme of the files to avoid confusion

Kind of works but full of holes and wasn't able to really use the revision table integration as it did very un-expected things on the drawing (update properties, removed the last row and pushed value of revision on the previous row)

Would be interested in finding out anything that you think might be worth sharing. By the way doing this in Vault Pro 2014

Cheers

Max B

Message 11 of 11
cbenner
in reply to: mbodnar

Hey,

I'm in Vault Pro 2013, so mught be some subtle differences.  We have gone essentially Item all the way.  We send all of our drawings (not parts or assemblie... at least not yet) to Items, and the Item document is the bible.  It took some workarounds and tricks because in Item Master you cannot use the Vault Revision Table.  Way too much to post here, but if you send me an IM I can point you to some information on what I did.  It works ok for us, but I still see room for improvement.  So take it as a "no guarentees" kind of solution.  LOL

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report