Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revision Control only on Items - Vault Pro 2012

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
DesignEng
1939 Views, 8 Replies

Revision Control only on Items - Vault Pro 2012

I am trying to understand revision control in Vault Professional 2012. My supplier tells me the files assigned to an Item have the same revision as the Item. So if the Item is at revision "A", all of the files assigned that Item are at revision "A".

Is anyone controlling revisions this way?

What I don't understand is it sounds like the files will not have their own individual revision levels. All of the files assigned to an Item inherit the Item's revision level? I've been told when we create a Change Order, we do it at the Item level. When the Item is moved to Work in Progress, Vault follows whatever revision scheme was configured.

I don't understand. If I want to revise a particular file that is assigned an Item number, I make the change to that file and then bump the revision of the entire Item? Is this how it is supposed to work? Do I also bump the revision of all the related Items? How do I know what change occurred and to which file?

Thanks for the help...

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mikel_martin
in reply to: DesignEng

First I would like to say that I am not sure exactly what your partner told you and they may some big picture plan in place that I am not aware of. That being said what you have described does not sound like the best use of the system.

You can use Vault Pro in a couple different ways.

1. Items + files with no revision

In this scenario files do not have their own revision scheme applied. In this scenario the file is implicitly taking on the revision of the item. The item is your control mechanism and you would assign the items to ECOs, and control your process through item lifecycles.

2. File with revisions + no items

In this scenario you apply a revision scheme to the files directly and do not use Items as the control mechanism. You can assign files to ECOs directly and control the files state with a lifecycle on the file. This will only work if you don't need BOM management, but it does simplify things.

3. File with revisions + Items

In this scenario you apply a revision scheme to the files (like above) and assign them to Items as well. The key to making this work is to not try to use the Items to control the files. Treat the Item as BOM document that is completly separate from the file. This is a similar relationship as a 3D model to a drawing file. In this scenario do not try to keep the Item and file revision levels in sync. It becomes a nightmare to manage.

Hope this helps.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 9
DesignEng
in reply to: mikel_martin

Yes - thank you for your reply. That helps me to understand the choices.

Thank you

Message 4 of 9
Maxim-CADman77

Second option seems not wise (provided you already on Vault Pro).

I wonder which one you personally have choosen and wheather you use Vault Revision Table feature in Inventor?

Message 5 of 9
DesignEng
in reply to: Maxim-CADman77

Uma,

We chose the third option.

The information contained herein is confidential and/or proprietary and could be subject to U.S. Export laws and / or controlled by the US International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR) 22 CFR part 120-130. It is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom this e-mail has been addressed. If you are not the intended recipient you should delete this document and you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, reproduction or further viewing of this e-mail without permission from the author is strictly prohibited. Young & Franklin Inc. and its subsidiary Tactair Fluid Controls Inc. take no responsibility, either direct or indirect, for any unauthorized dissemination of such data or materials.
Message 6 of 9
j_spiradek

Mikel,

Scenario 2:

You know, how to add to drawing Item revision and Item number?

Vault Porfessional 2014

Kuba

Jakub Spiradek
MAT.net.pl
Autodesk Gold Partner
Message 7 of 9
PACDrafting

Hi Mikel Martin

Can you please add screen shots or details on what settings are required and mappings for using your point 1 method?

Thanks

Message 8 of 9
PACDrafting

Sorry Mikel. I meant mapping details from file to vault etc in terms of the revisions.....
Message 9 of 9
mclachs

Hi Mikel
Quick couple of queries on option 3 below

1. If ITEMS cannot be released, one cannot use the export function to export BOM data. How else would you do this task?

2. Files will get locked thru lifecycle scheme, will ITEMS just remain unlocked? I guess since Rev and State for ITEMS cannot be used, ITEMS will have to be at WIP at all times, correct?

Max B

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report