Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replication Question, Large DB & FS

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
neil.cross
312 Views, 10 Replies

Replication Question, Large DB & FS

Hi guys.

I'm soon to be building and replicating a Vault from Sydney to the UK (full proper SQL workgroup replication), unfortunately the 300GB+ of data is too large to replicate with the servers in-situ.  My original plan was to courier the UK servers to Sydney and replicate locally before shipping the servers back to the UK.  However, I need a plan B.

I understand it's possible to pre-copy a filestore from the publisher to a subscriber prior to enabling workgroup replication, so then it uses and validates that filestore without copying the bulk of the data.  My question is, is it possible to do this also with the user and system databases i.e. the vault DB, the KVM etc? Basically, can I copy everything the Vault needs onto an external HDD, fly back to the UK with that HDD, move the data onto the UK servers into the right place and then enable replication without it needing to copy large portions of data to build the instance on the subscribers?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ta.  Neil.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Neil_Cross
in reply to: neil.cross

Just as a follow up, if this is possible, it would probably be my plan A as shipping physical servers is a logistical nightmare.

Message 3 of 11
Esky99!
in reply to: Neil_Cross

If only you had Vault Professional.

This would have enabled you to setup the AVFS (Autodesk Vault File Server).

See details if required: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/vault-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-vault...

Message 4 of 11
Neil_Cross

I'm confused, someone called KopexWaratah responded saying:

"If only you had Vault Professional.

This would have enabled you to setup the AVFS (Autodesk Vault File Server)."

But I can't see that response in the forum, very weird.  Watch it appear after I write this!

Anyway, thanks for the response.  Obviously this client does have Vault Pro, else full replication wouldn't be an option.  Unfortunately AVFS isn't going to be suitable to cater for these geographics, meta data transfer on the latency experienced between Australia and UK won't be acceptable therefore AVFS won't be suitable.  It has to be full replication.

I've since spoken with Autodesk who have offered an option regarding how to move a subscriber, so I have a few things I can test for now.  I'll update this thread if it works!

Message 5 of 11
Esky99!

My apologies didnt read your question correctly.

But see extract:

Replication.PNG

Message 6 of 11
Neil_Cross
in reply to: Esky99!

Yep that's exactly what I have here, two sites that are on different sides of the world with a very poor line between them.

Message 7 of 11
Esky99!

Your plan B which you are hoping is your plan A is something we will be trying between Newcastle and Poland.

I'll bookmark this section as well.....

Thanks

Message 8 of 11
Neil_Cross

Ah I live in Newcastle! Worked for 8 years at symetri who you've probably heard of or dealt with. 
You're planning on shipping disks with the instance and filestore data on to create a publisher?

Neil Cross / CAD & Data Management Consultant
Sent from mobile device.
Message 9 of 11
Esky99!

Yep know Symetri. But wasnt aware of them being in Newcastle Australia?? Guessing your thinking Newcastle UK!!

I'm on linkedin with Chris Atherton. Guess you know of him...

Yep plan is to copy all data on to an external drive and fly over, setup in Poland and off we go.........

Message 10 of 11
Esky99!

Just a quick one.

You wouldn't happen to be related to Ian Cross in Sydney?

If you are.....it is a very small world......
Message 11 of 11
Neil_Cross

He is indeed my younger brother. I got him into Symetri a few years back and then he buggered off to Oz once he picked all this CAD stuff up! 
I'm heading to Sydney next week so will be seeing him then, quite right tis a small world!

Neil Cross / CAD & Data Management Consultant
Sent from mobile device.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report