Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reccommended Vault multi-site configuration

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
tmccar
493 Views, 3 Replies

Reccommended Vault multi-site configuration

I am looking for advice and recommendations for a roll-out of Autocad 2012 and Inventor 2012 with Vault Pro to 5 sites. The first site will have the master database of drawings and master library, but all 5 will need access to this data continually.

Is there a recommended/recognized architecture for this configuration?

And do we need multiple SQL servers or just one?

One condition that we must meet is that the master data will be stored on a server in a data center (apart from the 5 sites), but will need to be replicated to each site daily.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
paul.gunn
in reply to: tmccar

Hi,

The answer to this largely depends on the latency between the various sites.

If latency is high, then a connected workgroups topology may be advised. This is where you have multiple SQL servers using SQL replication between them. This mitigates latency issues but has a few downsides (1) requires full sql [sql express doesn't support replication] (2) More complex to set up and administer (3) End users need to be aware of workgroup ownership [only one workgroup owns [can edit] a given object at a time]

If latency is low [critical for good performance here], it is possible for multiple adms servers [sites] to connect to one SQL server. A hybrid approach is also possible - multiple sites connecting to a couple of different workgroups [sql servers]

Paul

Message 3 of 4
tmccar
in reply to: paul.gunn

Thanks Paul for that useful info. And do you have any useful way to check the latency, or any benchmark test I could run? I have already scheduled a test using an Inventor assembly, but I feel it's not going to put much of a demand on the links. (It's 42mb zipped)

Tom

Message 4 of 4
paul.gunn
in reply to: tmccar

Hi Tim,

You can get a rough idea of latency [in milliseconds] by pinging the remote machine. i.e. the ping command from the windows cmd.

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report