Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really weird search results.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
brian
350 Views, 6 Replies

Really weird search results.

See attachment,

Searching the filename propert (which is also shown in the screen cap) and thats the results? Am I missing something? Returns the same thing without the quotes...

This seems really wierd, it seems to be finding the F & 000 in the entire string and posting the results?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
yuhui.zhang
in reply to: brian

correct, the value of file name field is separated into individual searchable chunks known as tokens to be indexed. F & 001 are recognized as two tokens. you may add some addtional search criteria to narrow down the result.

The rules for converting to tokens are as follows.
  • All adjacent characters of like type are grouped into a single token:
  • Alphabetic (A, B, C, …Z)
  • Numeric (0, 1, 2,…9)
  • Special punctuation (-, _,@,…$)

Hope it helps.
Regards,

Fay Zhang
Software QA Engineer
Data Management
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!

Message 3 of 7

I already ask Autodesk (My Feeback during Beta and Autodesk Feedback for the relaease version).

This kind of search are not usefull at all. Why?

Because if you work correctly with Vault, you have a naming scheme. Then it's a strict manner to work with Vault.

Then what want the customer? Find exacttly what he want and not received a huge of files who he is not interrsted.

Vault is not a Google Database, then please give us a way ( I mean a usable and quick way)to find the data like every other database or ERP !

If I search for F000, only file who contain this string must be show. Not F-C000....

We have many customer who ask to have a normal (none-token based) search.

By example

*F??12* must show only files like:

abcd-Fss12-dddd.ipt

abcd-F-A12.ipt

etc.

Hope Autodesk understand the real need of the customer....

Message 4 of 7
scottmoyse
in reply to: yuhui.zhang

First of all Yuhui, thanks for explaining the method to the madness & the blog article link, at least we know now. However....

Which Genius in the Vault Dev team came up with that way of searching on the filename property. Its frankly ridiculous and confusing for the users who don't understand the illogical 'Token' system. I gather this only applies to the Filename property? are there any other properties we should know about that behave like this?

If this type of search is usefull for some people then it should be represented as a tickbox on ALL the find & search dialogues. I emphasize the ALL here because thats important for consistency, its no good having that option only in the Advanced search dialogue in Vault Explorer it should be in the Basic one and in the Find dialogues of the various add-ins as well.

I will now set about trying to explain this madness to my staff. I'm sure Brian will enjoy doing likewise as well.

Thanks again for your support on these boards. Please pass on our comments to the Vault Dev team, preferably print it out several times to form a stiff book roll it up and then beat them with it. Smiley Wink

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 5 of 7
brian
in reply to: scottmoyse

Thanks, Yuhui

I think I see the logic, and I love fast searches I really do think this is going to create a lot of confusion.... On a side note, after reading the blog and sort of understanding it, Im not sure why when I search for C000 it returns results as I would expect. See the linked video, if I replace the "F" with a "C" I get better results......

Again I think this is going to be confusing...

http://screencast.com/t/IbChTd0eI6wu

Brian

Message 6 of 7
scottmoyse
in reply to: brian

Brian its just coincidence, that none of the other files in the search field of view, have C & 000 as seperated Tokens. Like the F000 search did. In this case, the only time the 2 tokens appear in file names they are right next to each other creating the illusion of a logical search. i.e: its finding Token 'C' & token '000' in the string *-C000-*

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 7 of 7
yuhui.zhang
in reply to: scottmoyse

Thank you all of your valuable feedbacks on search behavior. I'll do pass your comments to our dev team.

to answer questions:

ScottMoyse" I gather this only applies to the Filename property? are there any other properties we should know about that behave like this?"

not only for file name, all properties following same token rules. Vault was intended to provide better user experience with more flexibility, higher performance with this change. Actually performance does improved than previous mechanism,  but the token may be not so smart, i'll log a wish of improvement on this.

Brian - "if I replace the "F" with a "C" I get better results...... Again I think this is going to be confusing..."

I agree with Scott in this case, its just coincidence. the rules works as explained above.

Regards,

Fay Zhang
Software QA Engineer
Data Management
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report