Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prof. 2012 - Unable to check out files: Unknown server error.

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
janklaffke
1022 Views, 6 Replies

Prof. 2012 - Unable to check out files: Unknown server error.

Hello,

recently we migrated from Prof. 2011 to Prof. 2012.

Now, we have a rather serious problem. When trying to check out some assemblys or parts the action results in an error: (we run the german version so please excuse my english, i translated the error message)

"The following parts could not be checked out because of Server limitations."

[name of the file]

"The following information has been returned by the server: Unknown server error."

Basically, the co-worker copied a construction and tried to check out the whole assembly including everything underneath. This results in 3 from approx. 30 files which actually have been able to get checked out.

All other files remained checked in, and the error message shows up when one tries to check a file out manually.

I tried to check out one of the files in the source construction and got the same error.

We probably could work around this error through making a fresh copy of the affected parts and then replace the component. This worked with a single file a few days ago. The suggestion came from our Autodesk-consultant.

Doing this with bigger assemblys is not really an acceptable option when i.e. 80% of the parts are not able to get checked out. Perhaps it may not always be necessary to check *everything* out, but this situation leaves me a bit worried when thinking of our database to say the least.

Did someone encounter similar problems, being unable to check out files from the Vault?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Some background information which MAY be related to the issue:

While preparing and testing on lab-workstations, Vault Prof. 2012 ADMS console reported first a few, then thousands (literally) of errors when we did run the command "Update file references" on the "$" folder.

Sine this step is suggested by Autodesk in the installation guide these errors made me very nervous.

We analyzed this problem in both versions with files mentioned in the error report. All of the tested assemblys/files worked fine.

Together with our Autodesk-consultants we came to the conclusion that it should not be a big problem in the end.

Could this be a part of the problem?

Best regards,

Jan

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
janklaffke
in reply to: janklaffke

Hello again,

attached you'll find our server-logfile fom today.

Preview:

1)

Ausnahme(Intern): Das Objekt des Typs "System.Int32" kann nicht in Typ "System.String" umgewandelt werden.
Stacktrace(Intern):
Server stack trace:
   bei System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBuffer.get_String()
   bei System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.GetString(Int32 i)
   bei Connectivity.Core.DataAccess.PropertyInstanceBuilder.ExtractValue(SqlDataReader dr, Int32& col, String dataType)
   bei Connectivity.Core.DataAccess.PropertyInstanceBuilder.Build(SqlDataReader dr, Int32& i)
   bei Connectivity.Core.DataAccess.Director.a(SqlDataReader A_0)
   bei Connectivity.Core.DataAccess.Director.a()
   bei Connectivity.Core.DataAccess.Director.Execute(Options options)
   bei au.a(PropertySQLBuilder A_0)
   bei au.a(EntityClass A_0, ICollection`1 A_1, ICollection`1 A_2)
   bei Connectivity.Core.Behaviors.BusinessLogic.PropertyConstraintBL.a(String A_0, List`1 A_1, List`1 A_2)
   bei Connectivity.Core.Behaviors.BusinessLogic.PropertyConstraintBL.CheckCompliance(EntityDataForPropertyComplianceUpdate updateComplEntityData)
   bei Connectivity.Core.Behaviors.BusinessLogic.PropertyConstraintBL.ExecutePropertyComplianceCheck(EntityData[] policyComplianceEnts, EntityData[] mappingEquivalenceEnts, Boolean updatePropComplianceVerValue)
   bei Connectivity.VaultPro.Document.BusinessLogic.Vault_FolderExtension.a(String A_0, EntityData[] A_1, List`1 A_2, Boolean A_3, List`1 A_4)
   bei Connectivity.VaultPro.Document.BusinessLogic.Vault_FolderExtension.Post_CheckoutFile(File newFile, Int64 folderId, Int64 fileId, CheckoutFileOptions options, String machine, String localpath, String comment, Boolean downloadFile, Boolean allowSync, DateTime& tipCommittedCheckinDate, Stream& fileStream)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
   bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   bei Connectivity.Document.Services.FileService.CheckoutFile(Int64 folderId, Int64 fileId, CheckoutFileOptions option, String machine, String localpath, String comment, Boolean downloadFile, Boolean allowSync, DateTime& tipCommittedCheckinDate, Stream& fileStream)
   bei Connectivity.Web.Services.DocumentService.CheckoutFile(Int64 folderId, Int64 fileId, CheckoutFileOptions option, String machine, String localPath, String comment, Boolean downloadFile, Boolean allowSync, Byte[]& fileContents)

2)

Ausnahme: PermissionDenied [303]
Stacktrace:
Server stack trace:
   bei System.Threading.Thread.InternalCrossContextCallback(Context ctx, IntPtr ctxID, Int32 appDomainID, InternalCrossContextDelegate ftnToCall, Object[] args)
   bei System.Threading.Thread.InternalCrossContextCallback(Context ctx, InternalCrossContextDelegate ftnToCall, Object[] args)
   bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.CrossContextChannel.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage reqMsg)

bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   bei Connectivity.Product.Services.ItemService.GetLifeCycleDefs()
   bei Connectivity.Web.Services.ItemService.GetAllLifeCycleDefinitions()

3)

Ausnahme: ObjectDataNotFound [2020] (6a532266-2c86-4708-a663-5f54a756b9fc, HealthStatus, )
Stacktrace:
Server stack trace:
   bei Connectivity.Content.Services.ContentService.GetFamilyAspect(Guid familyId, String aspectName, String index)
   bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.Message.Dispatch(Object target, Boolean fExecuteInContext)
   bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)

bei Connectivity.Content.Services.ContentService.GetFamilyAspect(Guid familyId, String aspectName, String index)
   bei Connectivity.Web.Services.ContentService.GetFamilyAspect(Guid familyId, String aspectName, String index, Byte[]& data)

Best regards,

Jan

Message 3 of 7
mollons

It looks to me like there is an issue with one of the properties.

It appears that a property value is expecting an integer and actually getting a string and the server is failing because it cannot reconcile the difference.

Can you examine the properties in Vault Client on one of the files which are failing and see if anything looks strange? Could you post a screen capture of the properties panel? This might provide some hints.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 4 of 7
mollons
in reply to: mollons

After talking with a developer we believe the best course of action is to log a support case with Product Support for this issue. They can help you better than I can over the newsgroup.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 7
janklaffke
in reply to: mollons

Hi Scott,

thanks for your efforts, I just received a call from the german Autodesk support.

Our Autodesk-partner obviously opened a support case simultaneously.

Best regards,

Jan

Message 6 of 7
janklaffke

Hey again,

good news, problem solved.

The guy from Autodesk told me to disconnect the vault from inside the ADMS (see screenshot),

then re-connect it.

You have to assign the users/groups again after re-connecting!

Though I did not believe that this would do the job, it did. After about 30 minutes the Vault was available again and evrything works as expected. The search indices will be generated again after re-connecting so the search results will be limited for a short amount of time.

This is really a quick and easy thing to do... i will put it in my list of standard procedures (as more advanced Vault users may already have done). It's a bit weird that we wasted hours with restoring backups and testing and thinking but trying this never came to our minds. Funny.

Attached you will find a screenshot from the german version of ADMS. It's called "Tresor" in german but i don't know how it is called in english versions.

Thanks, Autodesk! (especially to Mr. Górski 🙂

Best regards,

Jan

Message 7 of 7
mollons

I am glad support was able to get you going so quickly.

Often, from working with customers all the time, they know a lot of these quick tips.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report