Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem seeing a UNC path in vault's Set Working Folders dialog

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mark.cloyed
640 Views, 3 Replies

Problem seeing a UNC path in vault's Set Working Folders dialog

I have a client that has recently upgraded to Vault 2014.  They use a network drive share as their workspace, and in the past they relied upon an "I" drive mapping to see this space.  Since upgrading to 2014, they now experience issues where they check out a file, with their workspace defined as I:\Me, but in Inventor, the file is seen as \\site \share\Me.  Each user has a different UNC path to their working folder.  Autodesk has recommended to the client to set all paths to UNC, but we cannot specify a pure UNC path when specifying the working folder.  The dialog box to set a working folder path only lets us pick from a network tree and this UNC location is not displayed in that tree.  I do not see a way to type in a UNC path.  How do we resolve this?  I have asked about setting all users to a consistent UNC workspace in the vault, but that will cause them all to share a networked location which will lead to overwriting each others files.  A colleague suggested that the client is using something along the lines of a Windows DFS system.  Since it's unlikely to get the dialog box rebuilt to accept a typed in UNC path, how can we make the share visible in the network tree?

Tnanks,
Mark

Regards,
Mark Cloyed
IMAGINiT Technologies
Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mbodnar
in reply to: mark.cloyed

Hi Mark

Would this help?
a path containing a system variable for a directory: \\designco\users\%username%

Max B
Message 3 of 4
mark.cloyed
in reply to: mbodnar

Hi Max,

I'm not sure how I would use that.  In the dialog box, all I can do is go to 'Network', which expands into those network nodes that are visible to all.  This drive share doesn't show there.  I'm not sure how a system variable will provide this.  It would be great if the dialog included a text box to type in a path, but that's not the case.

Thanks,
Mark

Regards,
Mark Cloyed
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 4 of 4
mikel_martin
in reply to: mark.cloyed

I think I would try what Max has suggested.

You can use the dialog to browse to the network location.

But you can also type in the field.

I did a little test and the Vault does to respect system variables.

Assuming that the place your "I Drive" maps to is something like \\network\share\<UserName>.

You can use the windows system variable %username% to put the user name in the path.

For example you can type in \\network\share\%username% and it will use the windows username in the path.

I have never used this in a production environment, so I am unsure of any issues.

But I did just do a test and it seemed to work.

Hope this helps

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report