Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro/Engineer parameters in Vault

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
DannyvanDuijn
1359 Views, 14 Replies

Pro/Engineer parameters in Vault

Hi All,

I'm configuring Vault Pro 2012 for Pro/Engineer files. Now I'm having a problem to import the parameters of the Pro/E files. The user defined parameters are not available to select for the property mapping in Vault. Only the system parameters show up in the dialog. I have already installed the iFilter for the pro/E files and all parameters are marked as Designated. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Danny

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Hi Danny,

I hope you have the Pro/Engineer add-in for Vault Professional 2012.

In this case we no longer use iFilter for extracting the properties since the Pro/E file format has changed. So here is what you need to do to get the properties to Vault.

1. Create Parameters for the file in Pro/E

2. Create User Defined Property (UDP) in Vault using the Exact name of the Parameter

For Example if the Parameter Name is PTC_MATERIAL (String), create an UDP called PTC_MATERIAL(Text)

3. Do not need to do any mapping for the UDP

4. Now Check-in the file from Pro/E

Now you should be seeing the Parameter Value get extracted and available as Value for the UDP.

Please refer the attached image which shows how that works.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 3 of 15

Hi Senthil,

Thanks for your respons. It worked, but when I change the Vault property value is the parameter value not updated in the file itself by using the property write back function.

Not even when I perform an 'Open from Vault'.

Any idea?

Danny

Message 4 of 15

Hi Danny,

I am sorry that we cannot write back Properties from Vault to Files as of now.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 15

Hi Senthil,

Thanks for your respons. Got another question for you.

Assigning items from Pro/E files works, however the related drawing is not added as file to the item.

Is this normal behavoir or does something go wrong?

In other words: how can I manage the drawing in the item without using the 'Attache' option. This option does not provide the item relationship icon on the file.

Thanks. Danny

Message 6 of 15

Hi Danny,

I am sorry again. As of now drawing won't be attached to the assembly item by default. But I have forwarded your previous request and this request to the development.

Thanks for letting us know this.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 15

Hi Senthil,

Thanks for sending the requests.

I've got another one:

Open from Vault opens the files, however it copies all files to the same directory. Also the library files from another Vault folder are copied to this working directory.

Any suggestions for this issue?

Thanks, Danny

Message 8 of 15

Hi Danny,

This is because we are supporting only single working directory for now instead multiple folder option ( search path). But we are planning to include multiple folder option in the future releases. So for now we do not have any other solution for this issue.

But please note that even though they are all downloaded to the same directory when you check them back to Vault the files will go to their respective folders in Vault.

Hope this helps you!

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 15

Hi Senthil,

Thanks for your reply. 

It is clear now that some workflow changes have te be made on the Pro/E configuration.

Danny.

Message 10 of 15

Thanks for understanding Danny and thanks again for raising these workflow concerns. As I said I have noted them down and forwarded to concern team.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: DannyvanDuijn

Hi Senthil,

I am also in the middle of configuring ProE to work together with Inventor in Vault Professional 2012 environment.

I found something funny that if we check out ProE main assy (without checking out the lower level assy), I still can do add part or erase part in that lower level. And when I checkin in the main assy (level 0), the level 1 assy was also change with additional part or erased parts member in it.

Could you kindly explain how should it work with ProE workflow using VP as data management system.

Thanks & best regards

Message 12 of 15
Senthil_Kumar
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

I am looking into this issue. I will come back to you soon.

Thanks!

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 15
Senthil_Kumar

Hi,

I see that the display inside the ProE Add-in browser is wrong. The data inside Vault is not getting changed until unless you check out the sub assembly. Is that what you are seeing also?

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

I've seen that when the later checked out sub assy was checked in first, and later the main assy was checked in, all changes made in the sub-assy was overwritten by the main assy, even when i checked out the main assy without checking out the sub-assy. But this happened only with the first level of sub-assy, it is all fine with the second level assy and parts.

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Hi Senthil,

Sorry for not describing the case clearly. I will try to make the illustration of the case, and i will get back to you soon.

Thanks! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report