Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Operation cannot be performed on an old version of the file

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
DWhiteley
551 Views, 11 Replies

Operation cannot be performed on an old version of the file

This error is back,

(Operation cannot be performed on an old version of the file that is associated with the item)

After adding all latest hot fixes to vault pro 2013 and a b2bmigrate. When customer does an item update, he gets this error on all items!
We have tried the checkout, rebuild all and checkin of inventor files. Still no joy. Error on all existing assemblies and on all vault clients.
What is the exact meaning of this error, and how can we get the update to work?

Dave
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
DWhiteley
in reply to: DWhiteley

More on this.

Apparently the update item works ok. It is when they do a change state from WIP to Released that they get this error on all items in the assembly.

They can go through each item individually and change state, then finally the change state of the assembly works.

As you can imagine, this can take them hours.

Happens on old and new jobs. Seems to have started since they migrated from 2011 to 2013 Vault Pro.

Message 3 of 12
cbenner

Update Item is what you need to use for this.  You cannot modify an item, if the file it was generated from has had any changes made to it, without first updating.  You can select multiple items at one time to update, such as a full assembly.  Bear in mind two things, Items must be in WIP to update, and the more you do the longer it will take.

Message 4 of 12
DWhiteley

Thanks for this Chris,

That's what they are doing.

They take the top level item (assembly) and update that. Shouldn't this update all the children as well?

Once they've updated, they then get the error when trying to change back from WIP to released.

They then find that the only workflow left to them is to update and change state of each child item individually. Then they can finally work on the top level item. (Hours of work).

It seems as though the initial update of the top level item is not working as expected.

Dave

Message 5 of 12
cbenner

Updating the top level SHOULD update the children as well, yes.  I'm not sure what you are running into.  Can you describe the workflow of creating the Item?  Is this Vault 2013?  What level (Workgroups, Pro etc)

Message 6 of 12
DWhiteley

Thanks for your reply Chris,

They're on Vault pro 2013 fully hot fixed and sp'd. The problem seemed to manifest iteself when they migrated from 2011 to 2013.

It looks like the update is not working properly, They have to update and change state on all the children first, then they can update & change state of the assembly. Although when you do an update of the top level item, it looks to go though fine with no duplicates etc.

I can't figure what's wrong here.

Dave

Message 7 of 12
cbenner
Message 8 of 12
DWhiteley

Hi Chris,

It seems to be a problem post 2013 as well, but of course they may well be using old files in the new assemblies.

Dave

Message 9 of 12
cbenner

Ok,... I think we're getting above my "pay" grade. (not hard since they ain't paying me!  Smiley Very Happy)

I think I'm going to try to bump this one up for you, there is at least one guy i can think of that may have some thoughts... stand by.

Message 10 of 12
cbenner
in reply to: cbenner
Message 11 of 12
DWhiteley
in reply to: cbenner

Ok - thanks Chris
Message 12 of 12

Hi.

We have exactly the same problem on some items. Did you find any solitions?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report