Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non unique Visualization file (Vault Pro 2014)

31 REPLIES 31
Message 1 of 32
Maxim-CADman77
1609 Views, 31 Replies

Non unique Visualization file (Vault Pro 2014)

For unclear reason sometimes DWFs that were "system controlled" become "orphan" (link to "master" CAD file disappear from "Where Used" Tab).

"Healthy" DWF:

Healthy_Vault_DWF.png

"Orphan" DWF:

Orphan_Vault_DWF.png

Main problem - if "force unique filenames" option is enabled (which is our deliberate choice) the "orphan" DWF prevents creation of DWF to new version of CAD file.

The only "workaround" we've found till now - somebody (in our case administrator) should delete the orphan DWF. But there are considerable drawbacks of this:

1. leads to loss of all versions of DWF thus if you let say want to use Drawing Compare you should initiate "Create DWF" job for all versions of CAD file  and wait till jobs be processed (waste your time).

2. Is just annoying (why human-being should spend life-time for manual workaround system that is supposed to work on its own).

We'd like to know why it happens and how to prevent this from happening.

Issue history:

Thread http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Vault-General/Vault-Collaboration-2010-Non-unique-Visualization-file/t... without real solution.

Case 08644553 without real solution.

PS: We also pay attention that some system DWFs stay in Мault after "master" CAD file was deleted.

PPS: Software used Vault Pro 2014 SR1 + Inventor 2014 SP1 Update 3.

31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
ihayesjr
in reply to: Maxim-CADman77

MaximUdod,

Please look at Administration -> Vault Settings.

In the Visualization tab click the "Commands" button in the Visualization Management section.

These are all the commands that will break the link between the parent and visualization files.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 3 of 32
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: ihayesjr

Ok. Thank you for the hint.

I've checked the settings mentioned and almost all commands (except
"Rename") are enabled ... (which differ from default settings
-http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-8076C1FB-8271-4
0B4-B3A5-51E0E39BB717).

First of all I've un-thicked those that are not included to the list of
link-breaking commands by default:

Category - Change Category

Synchronize Properties

Lifecycle - Change Definition

Lifecycle - Change State

Revision - Change Scheme

Revision - Revise

I really don't understand most of those defaults.

Why performing such commands as

Move,

Move folder,

Rename,

Rename folder

...are supposed to break the link? For me it makes no sense.

I've also un-thicked those.

Now we have 5 link-breaking commands:

Copy Design

Check In

Edit Properties

Modify Attachement

Replace

Let's wait for new occurances of "Non unique Visualization file" in Job
Queue ... I have feeling that it wouldn't solve the issue.
Message 4 of 32

Ok.
We got another occurance of the issue on IPT file.
User says neither of commands "Copy Design", "Edit Properties", "(Modify)* Attachement", "Replace" were used for the IPT file.

Command "Check in" was used but to my mind it should not lead to situation when DWF file should be deleted in order DWF for new versin could be sreated.

Autodesk?

* BTW, I can't find in Vault Explorer command with name "Modify Attachement" mentioned in the Help as one of link-breaking by default. I wonder if command "Attachement" is meant? If so then somebody should correct the Help.
Message 5 of 32
ihayesjr

Was the file checked in with Inventor? Are you creating a DWF on checkin or sending the Job to the Job Processor? If you are not creating the DWF on checkin then the latest version of the file will not have a DWF associated to it until one is created.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 32
Maxim-CADman77

Yes. Our Vault is set so that CAD files are limited to be checked in only through the master application.
We never create DWF during return as it doesn’t produce system-controlled DWF. We always set applications to generate «Create DWF» job in JobQueue.

Just to make things clear.
Most “Create DWF” jobs are processed ok but sometimes (quite rare) job fails with subject error.
The only solution so far (delete the DWF «completely» and re-sent job to Queue) can’t be considered as suitable enough.
Message 7 of 32
ihayesjr

It sounds like the unique rare cases that you run into should be look at by product support so that we can understand what causes this rare occurance.  The next time it happens or if you have one know, I would recommend that you leave it and create a product support case so that we can take a closer look at it.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 32
Maxim-CADman77

I strive to get somebody from product support to look into cases we suffer from (there are quite a few open nowadays).

Taking to account that we have hundred thousands of files and lots of active designers ... this rare occurrences occur on daily basis.

Unfortunately support neglects even more critical issues (like file loss from filestore...see thread regarding 8002) thus I'm almost desperate to get any support regarding Vault.

I've created this thread as recommended beginning of communication with support (they are supposed to open case if thread from supported customer is not marked as solved within two days, right?).

Three days have passed. Thread is not solved. Case is not open.

That same is happening if I open case (even worth - I have no chance to get support from somebody outside Autodesk). Support team can leave new case ?intact for weeks and even months. That how Vault support is working now.

I don't understand what for Vault support team gets their salaries.

Today they are just some lost? link in chain between customer and developers IMHO.
Message 9 of 32
ihayesjr

Actually that isn't how it works.  The forum, not product support, will automatically create a case based on the thread activity, not if the thread has been marked solved.  The best was to get direct help from product support is to log the case in the subscription center.  Please go ahead and log the case so that they can engage you directly.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 32

Really?

What about typical ending of auto-respond for case created directly:

"....Did you know there is a FASTER way to get answers to your support
questions?
We have online tools - Discussion Groups and Self-Help..."

Please see also this:

" Forum posts are automatically escalated to the Autodesk product
support team if the community does not respond to the question within 24
hours. If you do not mark an issue as solved, Autodesk will contact you..."

Source: http://www.autodesk.com/support-offerings/basic

I used to believe what is declared but it seems that Autodesk is not
going to fulfill what it declares.

BTW, Autodesk does have case opened directly regarding this issue
(08644553 2 August 2013) but they did nothing to localize the issue till now.

I don't believe Autodesk anymore so I'd like those who haven't done deal with Autodesk software yet could read and predict quatity of software defects the level of support they will get. Thus now I post each and every issue to discussions (no private cases kept intact for months).

Message 11 of 32
scottmoyse

@ihayesjr wrote:

Actually that isn't how it works.  The forum, not product support, will automatically create a case based on the thread activity, not if the thread has been marked solved.  The best was to get direct help from product support is to log the case in the subscription center.  Please go ahead and log the case so that they can engage you directly.

This thread should have escalated by now... If the OP was made with an Autodesk account associated with an active Vault Subscription. I think the escalation time is 24 hours... maybe 48. But the OP is way past that.

We are quite fortunate that Vault support is pretty attentive in APAC. Some great guys have moved on which is unfortunate, but the great guys always do. We have some newer good guys now. 

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 12 of 32
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: scottmoyse

Have just escalated this second time (first was 15 April and nobody get in contact).

...that is how they work nowadays....

Message 13 of 32

Issue is still actual

Just created another case - 09553801

PS: People, don't buy Autodesk Vault - this software is rough and nobody from Autodesk will contact you regarding issues.

Message 14 of 32

OK. Seems like the fact of disappering CAD file from DWF attachement after checking in the new version is not the root of problem but rather norma (the latest ver of DWF is not related to latest ver of CAD-file), right?
Message 15 of 32
mbodnar

Hi

I have encountered the same issue with the following workflow

1. Create CAD file (123.ipt) and check in and create DWF

2. Move CAD file to another folder

3. Rename CAD file to another number (ie. 456.ipt) - Vault leaves orphaned DWF file 123.ipt.dwf

4. If user creates new CAD file in another folder and calls it 123.ipt and checks into Vault, DWF will fail to create on check in

5. When creating dwf file for new CAD file at step 4 above using Vault Update DWF, Non-unique file message will appear

Regards

Max B

Message 16 of 32
justfuz
in reply to: mbodnar

I've been having this same problem for a few months now.

Once we have a complete job finished, we create a dwf package via pack-n-go that we then send to the shop for manufacturing.

I'll get a message that at least 1/2 of my dwf's not system controlled, out of 500+ files how can i trust the content is current?

Even when I click on Update View from Vault it still shows the message of not system controlled.

When we check-in, IV creates the dwf rather than the job server.

When I used job server for a day to test it, most of my titleblock data was blank or dimensions would be missing.

I could not get a consistent result with the job server.

So we are stuck with long check-in times for IV to correctly create the dwf.

Message 17 of 32
scottmoyse
in reply to: justfuz

@justfuz wrote:

I've been having this same problem for a few months now.

Once we have a complete job finished, we create a dwf package via pack-n-go that we then send to the shop for manufacturing.

I'll get a message that at least 1/2 of my dwf's not system controlled, out of 500+ files how can i trust the content is current?

Even when I click on Update View from Vault it still shows the message of not system controlled.

When we check-in, IV creates the dwf rather than the job server.

When I used job server for a day to test it, most of my titleblock data was blank or dimensions would be missing.

I could not get a consistent result with the job server.

So we are stuck with long check-in times for IV to correctly create the dwf.

unfortunately the only way to get it to run reliably is on a standalone machine no one is using with a clean Inventor Workspace. Also don't run the process inside a Remote Desktop Session... you will get font scaling issues. It's a hideously sensitive application, the Job Server/Processor that is.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 18 of 32
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: scottmoyse

Seems like the time for Autodesk to publish some Job Server/Processor
Do's & Don't's whitepaper, isn't it?
Message 19 of 32

Now we have taught to monitor moments when link between DWF and CAD file breaks.

Most of the time Check-Out operation doesn't break the link:

DWF_linked_to_ChOUT_IAM.png

But in some cases (still we don't know which) we can predict that after check in we will get "Non unique Visualization file" error because there is no link between DWF that was system for historical version and current version that is Checked-Out:

DWF_without_link_to_ChOUT_IAM.png

Any new thoughts?

Message 20 of 32
mbodnar

I noticed something odd in 2015

These options are turned off by default (un-checked), they used to be ON by default (checked)

I dont remember unchecking these but maybe someone else can confirm this

There is no option to break link on checkout, only on checki in

Also I found this workflow to bring up the error. Maybe the break link when rename refers to folder rename not file rename

1. Check in part1.ipt and create DWF

2. Move and Rename part1 - hidden DWF does not get renamed

3. Check in new part with name part1.ipt

4. Duplicate dwf error comes up

Max Bodnar

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report