Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My VAR told me not to use Library Folders

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Doug_DuPont
781 Views, 9 Replies

My VAR told me not to use Library Folders

That's Right, they told me to never use Library folder in Vault.

How do I keep my happy go click engineers from changing vendor models?

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
BLHDrafting
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

The Library folder is okay, it's probably more about having 2 or more IPJ files. We had Vault Basic for 4 years and had 2 project files, Vault.ipj for JOBS and Vault Library Edit.ipj for Library items (to be made, locked away and never touched again). But in reality this approach doesn't work and Scott Moyse over at Design and Motion has written a nice blog about this.

Earlier this year we upgraded to Vault Workgroup AND moved the contents of the Library folder to be under the Vault root folder $. Workgroup has Life Cycle states and this has helped lock files down.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 3 of 10
john.laidler

Did they give a reason to not use library folders?  Not sure why they would say that.

You can also use 'folder level' permissions, or add security to the workflows to control the security of the files.

John Laidler
AutoCAD, Inventor and Vault

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.
Message 4 of 10
Doug_DuPont
in reply to: john.laidler

This was a responce from him when I emailed him telling that I was having problems Loading files into Vault.

I was trying to load some Library Folders.

"We probably need to talk a little before you start "dumping" into the vault.

For now...

Never...Never...Never...Never...Never...create a "library" folder within the vault.

These are "permanently marked" as READ ONLY and you will NEVER be able to change that.

If you do you will regret that decision for eternity.

Make the folder a normal folder - not a library folder."

I know now that what I was trying to do was wrong. I respect my VAR. 

What I have here is.

We have been using Inventor for 6-8 years and AutoCAD for 20 years. We have stored all our files on network drives and have kept them. We have about 20 engineers using Inventor, AutoCAD, Acad Electrical, along with Office and others.

I have been given the task to implement Vault Collaboration 2013, get all the engineering files into Vault and not effect the engineers that are working with Inventor every day. Well other than telling them now you are going to use Vault. They know Vault is coming and I have been keeping them updated to new procedures that will take place.

Here is I biggest concerns:

1. How do we keep working while loading files into the Vault? I have a project file that I can load files from the network directly into vault. Should I give this to them and say today all you are going to do open your main assembly files (sometimes 16000 Parts mostly 1000) and save them into Vault! Then have them change to the main project file that works on their hard drive.

The problem I have with that is Lifecycles.  How are they going to get Revisions to sync, put some files to WIP and some to Released and not mess things up.

I've gone on long enough here.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 5 of 10
john.laidler

Never...Never...Never...Never...Never...create a "library" folder within the vault.

These are "permanently marked" as READ ONLY and you will NEVER be able to change that.

Not sure why he'd say that.  The Inventor 'project file' controls the 'read-only' access for the library folders.

You can update library parts in library folders, if your project file allows it.

John Laidler

Message 6 of 10
john.laidler

As for your 'biggest concern', the best process is to load files 'project by project'.  If you can't do that, tell the users they can still work off the server but those files are being loaded into the Vault.  Keep track of the files with changes, and update them into the Vault later. 

Best process to mass load Inventor files is by using the Task Scheduler for Inventor.

Import this order:

1. Parts (IPT)
  2. Assemblies (IAM)
  3. Presentations (IPN)
  4. Drawings (DWG / IDW)
John Laidler

Message 7 of 10
scottmoyse
in reply to: BLHDrafting

@BLHDrafting wrote:

But in reality this approach doesn't work and Scott Moyse over at Design and Motion has written a nice blog about this.

Cheers for sharing Brendan. My viewpoint has changed in recent months with regard to libraries. If you are using Vault Collaboration & higher (i.e: you can use lifecycles), then don't both with any kind of library, no ipj libraries and no vautl libraries.

The point you really come to regret it is this time of year, when you have to migrate all your data to the new release of Inventor.... hideous. Using a lifecycle makes it extremely easy, since you either give the Administrator rights to modify 'Library Category' files when they are in the released state or you can create a migration account which has access (much like the job server/processor account does). Then you use that account to log into Vault from the Task Scheduler.

Your VAR is wise to say don't EVER use Vault Library folders. I just dont see the point in them, since Inventor doesn't recognise them unless they are part of the ipj file anyway...

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 8 of 10
BLHDrafting
in reply to: scottmoyse

Maybe time for a blog update/new topic Scott?

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 9 of 10
scottmoyse
in reply to: BLHDrafting

I will once I have been through setting everything up for this next release

Regards
Scott Moyse
Sent from my iPhone
#####################################################################################
This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content and cleared
by MailMarshal
#####################################################################################

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 10 of 10
warrentdo

Hello, I thought that the point of lib folder is that once a part is in a library users cannot change them unless thay change to a vault edit ipj?

We only have the free vault.

Currently the common lib files are just checked out to a user 'checked out' to stop people changing them.

I thought that If I create a lib folder is would stop us having to check the files out under a specific user.

Regards

Warren.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report