Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Files to Different Folders in Vault (BULK)

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Bidu6
3642 Views, 13 Replies

Moving Files to Different Folders in Vault (BULK)

Hello,

I have to move a ton of drawings in Vault over to their new respective folders. RIght now they are organized by manufacturer, but have an associated property labelled 'facility number'. The facility number folders and subfolders exist, I just need to now move the manufacturer files into the facility number folders according to that facility number property. There are thousands of these drawings and to "quick change" and move these files individually will take me forever. 

I'm sure there isn't a solution, but thought I'd quickly ask and check just in case. 

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
olearya
in reply to: Bidu6

Hi there,

A quick note on this process, bulk moving files in Vault is really not a best practice - although supported and certainly possible wherever you can this really should be avoided as part of your regular workflow.  Modifying the SQL tables with the relocated strings may negatively affect your overall DB performance.

In terms of the process, in Vault 2013 we changed the behavior of file move and rename to actually repair the file relationships on the next edit/open operation - so you can move released documents and their links will not be permanently updated until the next time they are enabled for edit.  This means you could technically provide access for an administrator or purpose built "move file" user to reorganize the data without having to do a bulk state change.

For more info read the following: 

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/Help/Help/0001-Using_Va1/0021-Manage_F21

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 14
BLHDrafting
in reply to: olearya

I have thought of this problem before. I haven't tried this but it could be worth a go on a small test assy.

1. From Vault do a get/checkout of the assy/s and include all required files. But download this to a directory other than the default (see graphic below).
  2. Use Task Scheduler to then check the files (directory) back into Vault. This should put them into the path they were downloaded to (I think??).

1 problem may be if you have Use Unique Filenames option turned on. If this is the case then after get/checkout to new folder then delete (or rename) old files. As mentioned above I have not done this and would recommend using a small test assy first.

Capture.JPG

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 4 of 14
mikel_martin
in reply to: BLHDrafting

A couple other problem with this aproach...

You would lose all of the historical data when you delete the orginal files.

If this is important to you for any reason, then it could be an issue.

If you have files in multiple directory trees, when you do an override they are all going to end up in that folder.

This may give you unexpected results.

I agree with Allan on this. I would use the new Move/Rename functionality added in Vault 2012.

Also you dont need to move the files to quick change in order to move them.

You need write access to both folders but not the files.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 14
BLHDrafting
in reply to: mikel_martin

Well I better put that in the memory banks as a DO NOT DO! Thanks Mikel.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 6 of 14
Bidu6
in reply to: BLHDrafting

Thank you very much for the advice. I completely didn't think of the move command. I will use that going forward instead of just dragging over files to different folders. So using the move command it will store the historical data and everything is fine by using the move command? Thanks again.

Message 7 of 14
Bidu6

The Move Command does require me to put it in quick-change mode first, otherwise it says I don't have the adequate permission to perform the action. Although I am an administrator and have persmissions for every folder. ???

Message 8 of 14
olearya

Your user likely needs write permissions to the files which is why I suggested creating a special user or adding write access to administrator.

Hope this helps.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 14
Bidu6
in reply to: olearya

No I have complete permission for everything as shown in the attachment. I'm wondering why I still cannot move files in a released state to another folder through Vault's move function. Would it have to do with whether the files are locked or? I'm not really sure what the issue is if I have the correct permision.

Message 10 of 14
Bidu6

I forgot to attach the security I have set up.I must be setting up the permission wrong (even thought I doubt it) or something else is preventing me from doing this.

Message 11 of 14
mikel_martin

I think I must be losing my mind in my old age 🙂

Vault does require write access to the files in order to move them.

Another thing you can try;

Go to the lifecycle state and change the security to allow the user to have write access.

Then the user can perform move without the need to change the state.

Dont forget to put the security back when you are done.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 12 of 14
minkd
in reply to: mikel_martin

I just looked at 2012 (for which I had an environment handy), and for moving files, you must have write access to the source folder, the destination folder and the file itself.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 13 of 14
Bidu6

Nevermind, I figured out why my permissions aren't as expected. I guess I didn't understand the groups, roles and lifecycle permissions enough. I figured it out now after speaking with someone and figure out why I cannot perform any actions on released files. Thank you everyone for helping.

Message 14 of 14
Baishihu

Could you please share with us what you have learned? I have the same problem.

Regards,

Baishihu

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report