Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Processor on a Server is it supported by Autodesk

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
kesseltine
316 Views, 5 Replies

Job Processor on a Server is it supported by Autodesk

I would like to know the Pro's and Con's and whether Autodesk prohibts this but that is can you run the Job Processor on the ADMS server ? I know it takes up a license but the speed gain seems like a benefit , our courrent reseller does not recommend doing this but there reasons seem kind of weak , what is Autodesk stance on this ?

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
DarrenP
in reply to: kesseltine

what were the reasons given by your reseller?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
ryan
in reply to: kesseltine

Although I am a reseller and I'm not sure what you were told, I will make an attempt at helping you.

A system which is functioning as a "Job Processor" needs to have the CAD applications installed, in addition to the vault professional client.  The CAD applications will not install onto a Windows Server O/S and with the 2015 release of Vault, a Windows Server O/S is a requirement for the server.  So, your limitation is really more of a technical one with respect to O/S support and nothing to do with licensing.  In fact, in the 2014 release (where a workstation O/S is supported for a Vault server, you *could* have the Vault Server, Vault client and all CAD applications necessary to support Job Processor/Server on one machine although it isn't recommended because your speed gains for Job Processor will be offset by the fact that your "users" are now accessing a server that is busy doing job processor tasks.   On my workstation which I use for customer presentations/demos, I have everything installed on my workstation O/S (Vault Server, Vault Client, Inventor and I run Job Processor) just because I need to be a "one man show" when I am onsite doing demos. In short, unless you are like me where you need everything on one box, you will seperate off the job processor machine from the vault server.

Remember too that any machine can be a Job Processor so you can "farm out" the tasks on the Job Queue to however many machines you want.   So, you could have one dedicated machine which runs Job Processor and then maybe at lunch time, users can fire up Job Processor on their machine too to run through the tasks that the dedicated machine may not have gotten to yet.

-Ryan

Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca
Message 4 of 6
kesseltine
in reply to: ryan

Ryan
 thks for your answers... yes i have two machines dedicated for the job processor... that i have off loaded all the client machines jobs to ... this was apart of really more questions trying to solve all my issues with numerous publishing errors and other numerius "unkown errors" i get with the jp... it seems like such a unstable platform ... even if i put it on the server i know i will need to put cad software on the server as well... i am considering even putting adobe on a machine and running a task that publishes dwf into pdfs.... expensive i know but adobe and pdf is very stable and dependable...

Kurt E

Sent from my Galaxy S®III
Message 5 of 6
r.smith1

Hi Ryan,

Though people do install Vault client on the server all the time and in most cases there are relatively few problems, the server OS is not supported for the Vault client, nor is the OS supported for the CAD applications per the Vault System Requirements and Inventor System Requirements.  Therefore this configuration is unsupported.  

We recommend installing to supported environment.

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 6
tmoney2007

You can install Inventor and AutoCAD on Windows Server 2008 R2. I've seen it done.

On a related note, I agree that you don't want job processor running on your ADMS server, especially given that jobs tend to hang so often and take up ram.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report