Vault General

Board Manager
ihayesjr
Message 11 of 19 (357 Views)

Re: Job Processor Licensing

03-11-2011 12:07 PM in reply to: pdauphin

I agree that if you are running the Job Processor during the day that you need an additional license.  We do have other customers that cannot wait until the next day for the visualization file to be created or the properties to be updated.

You workflow is correct.

But I do not recommend running it on the same workstation as you are using.  Large assemblies could really impact your performance.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

*Expert Elite*
DarrenP
Message 12 of 19 (354 Views)

03-11-2011 12:08 PM in reply to: ihayesjr

also a good point

Valued Contributor
pdauphin
Message 13 of 19 (351 Views)

03-11-2011 12:16 PM in reply to: ihayesjr

The performance issue, that is not a problem right now for me.

My problem is that I will not be able to use the Job Processor without buying a new license or new licenses.

I need to find a workaround or a new workflow.

The other clients that can't wait, what are they doing about this?

Do you have any other workflow that you could propose? Are the other companies all buying extra licenses to benefit from this tool that looks great when used properly?

Thanks.

Board Manager
ihayesjr
Message 14 of 19 (342 Views)

03-11-2011 12:36 PM in reply to: ihayesjr

Some have purchased additional licenses and hardware while others run it only on the workstation where the designer has admin rights.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Valued Contributor
pdauphin
Message 15 of 19 (340 Views)

03-11-2011 12:39 PM in reply to: ihayesjr

Ok.

Thanks.

I'll see what I can do.

Maybe I can figure something out with "part time usage" of some licenses... or run the job processor at night.

Thank you for your help.

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 16 of 19 (210 Views)

01-27-2012 04:53 AM in reply to: ihayesjr

ihayesjr wrote:

Although it is doing an automatic operation, it is not a "system operation".  It is just another client connecting to the server performing a read\write operation.  All read\write operations require a license.

The intent for the Job Processor is to have it run on a dedicated workstation, not on the same workstation that the designer is using during the day at the same time.  Or it can run at night on the designers workstation while they are not using it.  If it is running in the background while the designer is working they will experience a performance impact because an additional instance of Inventor will be launched in the background to perform the operation.

If you run the job processor at night, it will use the licenses that the designers would be using during the day, therefore you do not require additional licenses.

Hope this helps.

I am running the job processor on my machine, at night as suggested above (Vault Pro 2011).  Any thoughts, anyone, on what would make it hang up roughly ten minutes after I leave the building?  I have the power settings on my machine set to none, so it will not kill the display or go into sleep mode.  Should I do the same for the server as well?  If the server goes to sleep will that freeze the JP?

I also noticed that while JP is running, or after it has hung up like that,... Inventor acts all goofy, hanging at the splash screen.  Any ideas?

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

Distinguished Contributor
hans.martin.haga
Message 17 of 19 (190 Views)

02-01-2012 03:24 AM in reply to: pdauphin

Try to explain a company with 1-2 users of Inventor and Vault that they need to purchase an additional Inventor and Vault license to run the Job Processor.

I consider synchronizing properties a system task, regardless of how this is implemented by Autodesk.

Valued Contributor
pdauphin
Message 18 of 19 (185 Views)

02-01-2012 07:26 AM in reply to: ihayesjr

I totally agree with you and that was exactly my point in my previous posts.

But you saw Autodesk's answer... To me, the job processor is parctically useless because of that.

I created a workaround where management people have an account that they use only to synchronize the properties of released or read only files. It really isn't user friendly but that's the only way we can release files and access them right away without having to wait for the Job Processor...

And there is no way that we are going to buy an extra Inventor or Vault WG license just to run the Job Processor. To me, it's a feature that I can not use even if I paid for it.

Valued Contributor
Clarkeng09
Message 19 of 19 (93 Views)

05-07-2013 07:00 AM in reply to: pdauphin

We recently upgraded to Collaboration 2013 and are running into licensing issues because the job processor is using them.  We have a replicated server so we are running two job processors and I need to have it set so they run at night so our engineers can actually work during the day.

I don't think it is right that you purchase software and then need to purchase additional features just to get it to work correctly.

Windows 7 x64 -24 GB Ram
Intel i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz
nVidia Quadro K5000M - 4GB
Inv 2013 SP2
Vault Collaboration 2013 Update1

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
New button for Platinum & Gold Subscription customers
Gold & Platinum Subscription customers can alert Autodesk if they require assistance with their forum post

Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community