Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Master - Automatic version update for attachments?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
dflaugher
379 Views, 2 Replies

Item Master - Automatic version update for attachments?

I am researching the future use of Item Masters for my company and in the limited testing I have done so far it seems that attachments to an Item Master do not automatically update their revision level unless an overall update to the Item Master revision is initiated.  In other words, I can update a drawing, part or a Excel file that is part of an Item Master, but the revision does not update until I manually update the Item Master revision level (A to B).  Is this function by design or is there a switch or setting to allow it to automatically update the attchments while keeping the Item Master level?

We are a manufacturing company looking to move our paper based Master File system to paperless and am researching to see if  Vault Pro is a good fit for this.  We have Vault rolled out to our 3 locations (Europe, China and the USA) using full site-to-site replication of the file store and meta data.  

Even performing an update to the Item Master does not advance the revision levels of the attachments.  The attachments will be a mix of Word, Excel, Inventor, Adobe and Outlook emails.

We are using Vault Pro 2014 Build 18.0.110.0.

Thanks for any help on this.

Dave

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
tmoney2007
in reply to: dflaugher

I believe properties will only update on the primary file. Other attachments will not have their properties updated based on a change to the item.

I'm regretting my company using item master for what little we are. You can replicate alot of the functionality (aside from workflows, and lifecycle stamps on visualizations, I believe) using file revision schemes and lifecycle definitions on files.
Message 3 of 3
WRiddle
in reply to: dflaugher

Good topic, I am having the same issue. For example: I have 20 assemblies that have a similar part. If I update the part I would like vault to automatically update the assemblies to the change. As of right now this isn't possible. I think.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report