Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue updating item if some file property change

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
spascual
913 Views, 17 Replies

Issue updating item if some file property change

Hi Sirs, please I need help a lot...

I have some files that have been assigned to item.

Well, If I change a property of the file and update item, system try to update the item (deleting primary file link) and create a new item.

I'm very lost.

Regards

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
mollons
in reply to: spascual

What property on the file are you changing?

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 3 of 18
spascual
in reply to: mollons

Responsable

Message 4 of 18
spascual

nota happens in all files, just in ones few

Message 5 of 18
mollons

I could use a little more information in order to help you.

I assume the property is named "Responsable"? Is this a custom property on the file or a default iProperty?

Do you have Responsable mapped to any Vault Item properties or use it as criteria in a rule to assign an item to a category?

What is the mapping you have for the Number property for the file type with which you are seeing the problem.

The item has an association to the file before the update? What kind of association is it (Primary, Secondary, STD Component)? All you have to do to reproduce the issue is edit the property in Vault and then do an update on the item? During item update is it getting a new item number? If so, is the item number an auto-generated number or based off a property value? Is a duplicate item suggested during update if you check auto-select first duplicate? If so, is it the original item number?

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 18
spascual

Hi Mr. Mollon,

I assume the property is named "Responsable"? YES

Is this a custom property on the file or a default iProperty? IT IS A DEFAULT FILE iPROPERTY

Do you have Responsable mapped to any Vault Item properties? NO

or use it as criteria in a rule to assign an item to a category? NO

What is the mapping you have for the Number property for the file type with which you are seeing the problem. NUMBER = Part Number, Catalog Number.

The item has an association to the file before the update? YES

What kind of association is it (Primary, Secondary, STD Component)? PRIMARY

All you have to do to reproduce the issue is edit the property in Vault and then do an update on the item? REALLY I EDIT THIS PROPERTY IN INVENTOR ENVIRONMENT, BUT IF I EDIT ANOTHER PROPERTY THIS HAPPENS TOO (SO I THINK IT DO NOT DEPENDS OF THE PROPERTY EDITED).

During item update is it getting a new item number? YES

If so, is the item number an auto-generated number or based off a property value? BASED OFF PROPERTY VALUE (AS SAID BEFORE NUMBER = Part Number)

Is a duplicate item suggested during update if you check auto-select first duplicate? NO 

If so, is it the original item number?

Message 7 of 18
spascual

I cannot reproduce it.

Really It happens when I do a check out of an assemby and its structure, get properties from vault, save, check in and update items.

It happens only in a few files.

Message 8 of 18
spascual

HI, MR. MOLLON,

To your question...

Is a duplicate item suggested during update if you check auto-select first duplicate?

IN SOME CASES, YES

Message 9 of 18
mollons

Are there anything special about those few files? Are they standards parts, or tube and pipe runs?

Vault would only think a new item was needed if one of the properties defining the item (Part Number of Catalog Number) is changed in some way. It would be very strange for a simple property edit to make Vault think a new item is needed to be created.

When this happens what is the difference between the new and old item numbers?

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 18
spascual

Which one value is the Catalog Number in a file????

If I accept the action an then assign again to the old item, it run well at the moment.

New Item Number is the Part Number in file.

Old Item Number and already assigned item is a secuential number scheme.

I cannot understand what is happening

Regards

Message 11 of 18
mollons

Okay, so the first time the file was assigned to item it got a sequential item number generated by the vault?

Then after the edit it gets a new item number based off of Part Number?

Does the file receive a value in the Part Number property after the first item assignment?

If the file initially had no values in the Part Number or Catalog Number iProperties then it would have received a sequential item number. If a Part Number or catalog Number value is provided at a later time and you run update it will create an item based off of the value of the iProperties.

If you want to ensure that the file always uses the auto-generated sequential number then you can do one of three things:

1. Make sure Part Number and Catalog Number iProperties always remain blank.

2. Unmap the Number property to remove Part Number and Catalog Number iProperty mappings.

3. Populate the Part Number iProperty of all files with the auto-generated item number.

When assigning and updating items the following priority is used:

1. Does a property value exist for my Number mapping? If so use the property value.

• example: If Part Number has a value use the value as the item number. If not, if Catalog Number has a value use the value as item number.

2. If none of the property mapping have a value, use the default item numbering scheme (sequential is the out of the box default setting) to create an item number.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 18
spascual

Where could I find the catalog number in Inventor file????

Message 13 of 18
mollons

It is an iProperty and should be listed in the iProperty window. If you are using a non-English version of Inventor it maybe translated into a different word. It may also appear in the Inventor Bill of Materials dialog or oyu may be able to add it as a column in the Bill of Materials dialog.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 18
spascual

it is possible that at the begining we had an autogenerated item number, and then we need to change to a mapped item number.

And then, items generated at the beggining are trying to change to a newer scheme???

Well, If I reasign items to old number, it seems to run well.

Regards

Message 15 of 18
mollons

You might be running into this if you follow these steps (or some variation on these steps):

1. Manually create a new item number that gets an auto-generated item number

2. Check in a file

3. Assign item to the file  and set as duplicate to the manually created item in step 1

4. Update the item

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 18
spascual

I'm looking for a Catalog Number in an English Inventor version, but I am unable to find it. I would like to be sure that this is not the problem.

I am thinking that there are parts that was iParts some day, may be this is the problem

Any idea??

Message 17 of 18
spascual

do you know if this number could be the Member field in an iPart file????

Message 18 of 18
mollons

It may not actually be a property on any file. All the mapping says is that if it finds Catalog Number and Part Number is blank or doesn;t exist then to see if there is a Catalog Number property and to see if it has a value. If the file doesn;t have Catalog Number then no other property is used.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report