Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor "Sheet Size" property in Vault 2013

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
rodenbaw
890 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor "Sheet Size" property in Vault 2013

Hello,

I'm trying to map a property to the "sheet size" parameter within Inventor .idw files.  I would like the sheet size to show up as a property in the Vault.  I am unable to browse to this property during the mapping process.  Is there anyway to add this property to the list?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
scottmoyse
in reply to: rodenbaw

Create an iLogic rule using the code below:

iProperties.Value("Custom", "Sheet Size")= ActiveSheet.Size

Either set it as an external rule or save it into your template. Either way you will need to set the event trigger (i.e: before save) in your template. Then create a UDP in vault and map it to the custom property in the Template.

voila! I hope that does what you need.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 3 of 8
rodenbaw
in reply to: scottmoyse

That worked perfectly!

Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
scottmoyse

Yay my first problem solved on here with iLogic. 🙂

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 5 of 8
rodenbaw

It seems to be quite a nice solution too!

I wasn't sure if I worded the question well enough for anyone to understand the problem.

I'm using in internal rule.  I'm trying to decide if there is an advantage to using an external rule.  The event trigger has to be within template either way, correct?

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 8
scottmoyse

I don't like using internal rules for the same reason using document based VBA macros is a bad idea. They're difficult to manage over time as things change & a few other reasons.

I use External rules so then I can change it across the board without having to use the iLogic code injector each time across thousands of files.

I personally think having event triggers solely in the document is stupid as well. They should be in the project file and/or in the application options, with a parent child relationship. Parent>Child : Project>Application in the same way it works with styles & templates etc.

I would suggest using External rules unless the rules are being written for a very specific set of files.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
rodenbaw

Hi,

I have another similar question.  I want to grab a custom property from a part or assembly file, (in this case EDP No) and store it my drawing file as a custom property for use with Vault.  The line I tried below as a rule in my drawing does work, but needs a variable in place of the "test.ipt" in order to work properly from a template.

iProperties.Value("Custom", "EDP Number")= iProperties.Value("test.ipt", "Custom", "EDP NO")

I have tried bringing this across by copying iproperties from the model in the drawing, but they don’t seem to update well. 

Is there a way to make this work with a rule in my drawing template?

Thanks again,

Andy

Message 8 of 8
rodenbaw

I was able to make this work with the following:

modelName = IO.Path.GetFileName(ThisDrawing.ModelDocument.FullFileName)

iProperties.Value ("Custom", "EDP NO") = iProperties.Value (modelName, "Custom", "EDP NO")

It gives an error when you save the template because there is no part or assembly associated with the drawing.  But it does allow you to save the template. It works fine once the template is in use with a part. You must set an event trigger, I again used "Before Save Document".  The value does not transfer until you save the drawing with the part or asssembly in it. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report