Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improper model ver (checked out) while getting historical drawing ver

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Maxim-CADman77
310 Views, 6 Replies

Improper model ver (checked out) while getting historical drawing ver

I'd like to pay attention of Vault developers to situation which seems another Vault defect.

Vault seems to download improper version of model while getting some historical version of drawing if model is checked out.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install Inventor samples provided by Autodesk (http://download.autodesk.com/us/support/files/inventor_sample_files/Autodesk_Inventor_2014_Samples.e...).

2. Open Vertical Plate.idw and Check-IN it to Vault (1st versions of IDW and IPT).

3. Check-OUT IDW file; make some change (ex. delete inspectation table) and Check-IN its 2nd version.

4. Check-OUT IPT file

5. Run Vault Explorer as other user and get 1st version of Vertical Plate.IDW (including "childrens")

You will get latest (2nd, checked out) version of Vertical Plate.IPT as well

Does this make any sense for user that asked for historical version? 

If model wasn't checked out (without step 4) second user on step5 would get 1st version of model.

Software used:

Vault 2014 Pro SR1 SP1 CH1 (build 18.101.3.10)

Inventor 2014 SP2

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
gandhey
in reply to: Maxim-CADman77

Hello,

This is expected behavior.

Drawing (any earlier version) will always point to the latest version of the referened component.

Thanks,

Yogeshwar Gandhe

Vault QA Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 7
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: gandhey

Sorry
But if it is expected behavior then where user can read about it?

In fact it just can't be expected behaviour (and it doesn't):
Try check in two versions of IDW based on different versions of model.
Don't check out model.
Now clear working folder get 1st ver of IDW (with children).
Which ver of model you'll get?
Definetely not the latest (at least my Vault gets 1st ver of model).
Message 4 of 7

Hello MaximUdod,

In your original steps, step #5 you mention that you log in as a different user.  Is that on the same machine or another machine?  The reason why I ask this is that if the file is local and checked out in the active workspace we will default to that file version.  We will not download an older version over a newer version without prompting you as well.  What you described in your previous post is what I would expect to happen if you are indeed in a clean workspace.

-Jim

James McMullen
Principal SQA Eng.
Message 5 of 7

Thank for the attempt but your theory seems far from reality.
I'm getting same result independant of machine used.
Message 6 of 7
mollons
in reply to: Maxim-CADman77

I'd like to try to get a better understanding.

1. If you follow your steps, and in Step 5 open a new Vault Client on the same computer, you see the perceived issue with the new ipt being used?

2. If you follow your steps, and in Step 5 instead open a new Vault Client on another computer, you still see the perceived problem?

3. Are you using a shared workspace for all users?

I doubt that #2 can be true since version 2 of the ipt has never been checked in and therefore there is no possible way another machine can access it as it only exists on disk on the first computer.

Unless you are using a shared workspace and all users check their files out to the same location (perhaps on a network drive?). This may also account for why clearing out the workspace seems to fix the problem.

In the case of #1, understand that you have an application with the second version of the file open which has not been checked in to the Vault. When you do a get previous on the idw, there is no way we can write the older version of the file over top of the file which is open. When you open the idw it will resolve to the file on disk, which is the one you have open and have not checked in.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 7 of 7
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: mollons

First of all let me clarify what I mean 2nd (checkedOUT) version of model is downloaded:

incorrect_ver.png

1. Not sure if it is important but I don't use new occurance of VE. I just logoff current account and logIN using another.

2. Yes

3. No

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report